Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavJames
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Engineer Moved Broadband Socket - now Homeplugs are very slow

Go to solution

We are getting a 2nd bathroom put in so we needed the broadband socket moved from the hall to the living room. The engineer saw that the connection was fine as he saw the blue light on the router, not sure what other tests he did if any but he didn't check any of our devices to see if they connected.

The problem is that our 4 Netgear Powerline AV500 Homeplugs no longer work properly. My upstairs PC is only getting about 20% of the normal download and upload speed I should get as I'm on BT Infinity Option 2 Unlimited which doesn't have any throttling. Our BT YouView box won't connect to the internet at all via the homeplug so I can't watch any BT Sport channels. I tried using a physical ethernet cable and all the devices worked fine at the correct speeds.

Somehow the engineer moving the socket has stopped my homeplugs from working properly. Spoke to BT on the phone and they said because they tested the line via the phone call they said that it's working so there's nothing more they can do.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Engineer Moved Broadband Socket - now Homeplugs are very slow

Go to solution
Is the hub and homeplug now plugged into a different mains socket?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
DavJames
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Figured out the problem. Seems the particular wall socket where the homeplug is connected to shows a red light which means you'll get a slow speed. Plugged the homeplug into a socket on the opposite side of the room and the speed is fine now. Very weird.
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

The speed you get out of these adaptors is entirely dependent on your house wiring - and the cables used for that were never designed for carrying high-speed broadband.

In general, using sockets on the same ring will get better speed than different rings.

0 Ratings