cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Engineer Visit Charges

Hello,

I have had BT broadband for over 1 year, paying my bill regulaly and yet getting less than 1MB (between 05/0.8) speed. the excuse has always been "too far to exchange", after visiting a friend and saw the spedd he had, I called to report this and I was told an enginner will have to come and check; after so many remote troubleshooting and could not fix the problem. The engineer visited and told me I have a noisy line which he fixed, now this has always been the line BT installed since I joined them, BT slammed me with £130 bill, for providing poor service without any complain for over a year and then fixing the bad line installed, to top it all I spoke to so called manager and she was very "mean and rude". Now I've always have respect for BT but this one is completely out of order..

The speed now increase to 5MB from 0.5MB for over a year, I have not moved closer to the exchange and either is exchange move closer to me

I called to complain about this and I was told by the first person I spoke to that the engineer record shows "Service improvement" and because he changed the socket which I should have agreed to, it cost me that much.

Another person I spoke to today told me the engineer record shows that the extension in my house was bad and it's causing the problem

I've told 3 different stories now, Engineer told me It's a noisy line, customer service told me the engineer said it's the socket/service improvement, the one i spoke to today very rude manager said it's the extension

I need to know if I can get a compensation for providing poor service and not meeting their obligation, I was promised up to 8 MB but getting between 0.5 and 0.8 for over a year and after engineer visit increase to 5MB which is fine by me but had to now addtional 130 pounds!!

I've been looking at Ofcopm and Ombudsman website and seen quite few information but need some advise from anyone with similar exoperience before making serious complain about BT to these peole for breaching their contract and taken money in my account without my knowledge

I pay £40 for normal broadband and additiona £130 was taken from my account amking 171 pounds.. for 1 month of broadband usage!

As far as I'm concerned BT deliberately installed bad line to get an addtional money from us, I believed the first engineer should have done same test 2nd engineer did and see I was only getting less than  1MB, they were very quick to send an engineer knowing their intention to rob me off

Thanks

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Engineer Visit Charges

HI
To start with the line is nothing to do with BT the lines are provided and maintained by Openreach on behalf of all service providers and BT get no preferential service under OFCOM rules the engineer improvement charge is quite normal when a socket is replaced as this link shows http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/~/engineer-home-improvement-service-%E2%80%93-i...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 27

I don't think BT would have deliberately installed a bad line to get money from you but they should have rectified the fault when you first complained about it.

In view of the conflicting information you have received about what the fault was and why you were charged for an engineer visit I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 4 of 27

Hi fademidun, 

Thanks for posting. 

Can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile and I will take a look into this for you. 

Thanks,

OlgaC 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 27

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply, either openreach or not, I have a deaaling with BT and who ever they asked to come and sort thye problem has nothing to do with me, also How come the first engineer who installed the line didn't do the initial testing the second engineer did to detect whatever they discovered? if the first engineer had done his work properly, this would have ben picked up by him and not leave me with faulty and dodgey job for over one year. I should not be responsible for unprofessional engineer who doesn't know his Job, afterall I paid the monthly sub of £40 including line rental

Thanks

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 27

Thanks for your help, my problem is why is the first engineer not picked this up when he installed the line, he should have performed a test confirming everything is fine, the second engineer came, did a test which the first engineer who initially installed the line should have done and immediately detect a fault, if the first engineer had done similar test, they won't have slammed me with £130 bill after providing very poor service for over a year (0.5MB speed for £40).. this is appalling and unacceptable.

I have spoken to my neighours who happens to be very angry with BT as well and said he will speak to other people in the area with similar issue to get a petition and take it to the ofcom, it's not about the money afterall I paid the bill but it's about principle, empathy and loyalty. After providing a very poor service for over one year without any complain then sent a bill of £130?? uHmmm

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 27

Hi OlgaC,

I have sent the info required

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 27

The most annoying thing about this whole thing is, while they're pretenting to be nice to me on the phone thining they took interest in the matter, I recommended them (BT) to 2 of my friends who eventually joined them not knowing it's all for their own interest. Will later need to speak to these people as they're still under 14 days..will do every possible thing to convinced them..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 27

there is no free cancellation after the service has gone live cancellation charges for the remaining period will be charged
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 27

line noise can appear at any time it is very possible there was no noise when the first engineer installed the line Openreach do not install dodgy lines as you put it as they do not want to keep returning to customers

OFCOM do not get involved with individual complaints

just leave it with the forum mods now
0 Ratings