cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmht1971
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Engineer confirms FTTC in place but I am not allowed to order infinity

This has to be one of the most frustrating catch-22's I have ever been involved with.  I WANT TO PAY FOR A SERVICE B.T., why won't you let me ?   I just moved house (stonesthrow away from last place where I had 30Mb Infinity), the new house (according to BT infinity postcode checker) does not have infinity.   Woops.  Engineer says it does have - he's performed resistance tests on the line, local CAB (same one services my old and new house) has fibre and 60 infinity channels available so the engineer informs me.   Order people say if it doesn't show on the computer I can't order it.

I have searched high and low, and called BT faults, customer services, ordering, anyone who'll listen - I want to find the team responsible for updating the postcode checker details.

If anyone can help me, I will be happy to sign up once again to BT infinity TODAY - as it's a great service.  For the moment, I have been forced to order broadband with an anticipated speed of 1Mb (i'm 5km from exchange but < 1km from nearest CAB - therefore VDSL is very important !)

Hopefully,

Dave

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Roebuck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: Engineer confirms FTTC in place but I am not allowed to order infinity

Dave,

I feel your pain.

Im in a similar situation, the mods on here have been great, send them a message (using the link on their profile). They are currently contacting Openreach to ask them to update the Checker for me, as I too am connected to a fibre cab - but the database says I cannot have it.

Im sure they can do the same for you! Smiley Tongue

Roebuck.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 14

Hi there.

When you input your telephone number into:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html what does it say. Copy and paste it if needed.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

How frustrating.... and it's not unusual to be frustrated by not being able to put business BT's way by the looks of it.

BoostMonkey in THIS THREAD was mucked around but when he escalated to Ian Livingstone's dept he got somewhere.

Good Luck Smiley Happy

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
dmht1971
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Hi,

Pasted reply is as follows (i've removed my telephone number, obviously).   I can understand/agree to the infiormation it gave me as I am a good distance from the nearest telephone exchange - HOWEVER, my understanding, and i'm willing to be corrected,  is that the infinity service only needs to be close to the CAB, as the fibre is presented to the CAB, and then the copper to my house is in the hundreds of meters.

For Telephone Number xxxxxxxxxx on Exchange NORTHWICH

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 512Kbps. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 14

@dmht1971 wrote:

Hi,

Pasted reply is as follows (i've removed my telephone number, obviously).   I can understand/agree to the infiormation it gave me as I am a good distance from the nearest telephone exchange - HOWEVER, my understanding, and i'm willing to be corrected,  is that the infinity service only needs to be close to the CAB, as the fibre is presented to the CAB, and then the copper to my house is in the hundreds of meters.

For Telephone Number xxxxxxxxxx on Exchange NORTHWICH

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 512Kbps. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Well Northwich exchange shows as fibre available in some areas. But the BT wholesale checker does not mention  a date for fibre at all.

If you are sure that you have one of the NEW Fibre Infinity Cabinets within a few yards of your old existing cabinet, then you should be able to recieve it when it is available.

How long has the NEW green cabinet been there.

Is it powered up. You should be able to hear it humming if you place your ears close to the vents.

If it is not powered up , its not ready yet.

They also sometimes wait for maybe ten cabinets to be ready before they anounce that they are ready for service.

If it is powered up, and been that way for a while, then the database is wrong , maybe contact the mods to see if they can check for you.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

It can take a couple of days before the mods are able to pick up your message.

ps: you are correct, it is the distance from the cabinet as opposed to adsl which would be the distance from the exchange.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
dmht1971
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

toekneem, thanks for your speedy reply - wish you worked at BT 😉

My CAB became active around January of this year - as mentioned the engineer confirmed my old address (working great on infinity) and my new address are both connected to the same CAB.

I'll give the links you posted a go, and write an update when I hear something back.

Thanks again,

Dave
0 Ratings
dmht1971
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

Well this is really frustrating - I followed advice and sent the link to this thread to a moderator.  I literally got a copy/paste answer telling me the service is not available in my area.

One interesting development is that I used to see on my old postcode (half a km from where I am now, and confirmed to be using same CAB by engineer) that Infinity was available in that postcode.  Since this weekend, the BT postcode checker is now showing that Infinity is not available in the area - which is amusing because I was using it for several months, and there is capacity still available at the CAB (again, arrording to BT engineer)

Would really appreciate if someone could advise any kind of method by which my "case" could be heard by the right person/team.

Hopefully,

Dave

0 Ratings
admack
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

I've got a very similar issue.

The green cab is in place, all fired up and providing service to a nearby neighbour through Plusnet at 9mb. (Believe me when I say that 9MB would be a godsend when you get 128k "Broadband" on a wet day with no wind, if it's dry the HH3 doesn't even sync!

When I had my broadband installed the installation engineer said the cab was now accepting orders and if I'd registered I should soon see an email. The number checjer used to say the Infinity was on the exchange now it says not planned!

When my other neighbours call and ask about it, it's "NOT PLANNED AT THE MOMENT"

Thank god for broadband dongles otherwise we'd still be in the dark ages.

0 Ratings
Raulduke
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem. Been trying to order BT Infinity over the phone for the past couple of weeks without success. I first tried to order online when my telephone number checked out as having Infinity available however the order encountered an error and advised me to contact the sales team by phone. Having done this I discovered that my landline number did not match my address so the sales adviser then tried placing the order for a new number for my address but could not find an existing line at my apartment despite the fact I was calling from it. He was able to confirm that Infinity was available in my building for other apartments but there was issues with the information held for my apartment on the database. After several more calls to increasingly more unhelpful advisers I have no idea if this issue can be resolved. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

0 Ratings