Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Engineer fail has really messed me up

Hi, 

Im presuming the engineer was at fault, heres my issue.

Today was my go live date with BT infinity. This morning at 6am i had a perfectly working phone and a perfectly working broadband connection. This afternoon i had no phone and no broadband, oh, i thought they must be switching me over, i am so looking forward to my new fast internet, upgrading from 15mb to 76mb yay cant wait. Hours passed, i get an email telling me my phone service is ready and my broadband will be ready soon, i check the phone, nothing, no tone no nothing hmmm. More hours passed i get an email "your broadband is now ready", well nope, no broadband and still no phone. I contact BT, tell them the situation, i say you've messed up somewhere i have done nothin, theres been no storms, nothing that could have caused this on my end. BT run a test and confirm there is a fault, then they dont apologise and they tell me they can send someone out within 3 days.... 3 days!!!! and went on to tell me that i will have to pay £129.99 if the fault turns out to be on my end. I just hung up, too upset. Ive been waiting for fibre for years, ordered it over christams and have been looking forward to it and then this, pure meh this is pure meh and then some. Did the engineer forget to connect a wire and then went home... sort it out BT please.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Engineer fail has really messed me up

the charge an advisory only your problem would not be charged and 3 days is Openreach's normal response time to fix faults it sounds like a cabinet issue the problem is out of BT's control
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Mate if i could talk to openreach i would but monopolies dont talk to ants. Im starting to wonder wether the engineer showed up at all, usually they call or pop round to see if everything is up and running but we didnt get a peep.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Not always, depends on how much work they have on and what work was required to be done at the exchange/cabinet.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

^^ 

Well i know that we was connected directly to the exchange and that because of that we were unable to get fibre even though it was avalable. So im guessing that recently they must have installed a cabinet next to the exchange, so maybe there was more work then usual because we needed our line to be rerouted through the cabinet and the engineer didnt realise?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

If they've installed a cabinet outside the exchange then your telephone line will already be routed through that cabinet, it would have happened as part of the installation of the PcP.

We could sit for hours and speculate what the cause of the issue is, best off sitting back, relaxing and waiting for the OR engineer to do their thing 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I had exactly the same issue and the engineer didn't come out when promised. Sky working fine up to midday on the activation date and then nothing.

It took 11 days without any internet/tv other than freeview before mine was resolved. The openreach engineer who eventually came admitted that there is no way I could have got online with infinity without an engineer actually coming to the house as I had 'the wrong cables' whatever that means in addition to a "**bleep** up at the cabinet" whatever that means. BT are telling people that they can 'self install' but the scores of customers on here saying that after activation they get nothing until they have had an engineer visit suggests otherwise.

You are lucky that you got an engineer to come out in just 3 days. Some people have to wait weeks. I will keep my fingers crossed that the engineer visit sorts out your problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

cinnamon009 wrote: BT are telling people that they can 'self install' but the scores of customers on here saying that after activation they get nothing until they have had an engineer visit suggests otherwise.

If there are only 'scores' of customers having self install problems with the hundreds of thousands that are carried out, it is not economic to send an engineer to every install.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

My phone is working now, miraculously, but still no broadband.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

If your activation date was today, your activation for broadband can take up to mid-night.

EDIT: My eyes must be painted on. Now noticed your activation date was yesterday.

0 Ratings