cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m_p_h
Message 1 of 4

Engineer no-show

I already have BT phone, broadband and vision after moving into our house last month. Infinity was going to take too long to set up initially so agreed to go with normal broadband and upgrade to Infinity once we'd moved in. This was due to happen today and had a 1-6pm engineer slot booked, have received my back package of goodies and numerous texts/emails telling me I should be excited.

Fast forward, no-one comes 😞

I checked the order tracker through the afternoon which tells me everything is fine, and I call BT at 5:50pm hoping for the best and am told there's a delay but they don't know what. The 'suppliers' have an issue and the next update will be available on Friday 21st September (8 days away) and at that point they will have a better idea on when installation is possible.

I don't know (and to an extent don't care) who the 'suppliers' referred to are but having taken a day off work for nothing I'm pretty annoyed. Specifically, the issue clearly didn't suddenly arise today, and had BT been in touch I could have cancelled the day off. Secondly, there was no call / text / email saying no-one was coming. In my view that's fundamental **bleep** service.

I joined BT on the understanding Infinity is available on my line. No-one can tell me (i) what the problem is, (ii) timescale to rectify and (iii) when service might actually be possible.

What's the solution here?

Thanks

Mark

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Engineer no-show

Wait.

You could cancel and switch to another provider. But you'd still be at the mercy of Openreach, who will turn up whenever it suits them.
0 Ratings
m_p_h
Message 3 of 4

So who is to blame for the lack of communication? Surely that's both Openreach and the ISP? Possibly worth mentioning I had BT Vision unlimited due to be activated at the same time, which hasn't happened / won't happen until the Infinity issue is resolved.

Surely the ISP can also tell you the nature of the delay; the implication was that it wasn't a lack of engineers, but rather additional works that need done (unknown works in some unknown location). The lady at BT had no idea what this might be though... and to me that's not up to scratch.

Also, all the emails mention 'our engineer' and 'your BT Infinity Engineer'; BT seem to be keen to associate themselves with Openreach in some situations, then distance themselves when things go wrong. I wonder why...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

BT Retail and Openreach may both be owned by BT, but they are operated as separate companies (at the insistence of OFCOM).

In practice, they don't actually talk to each other.  So the information you get suffers from "Chinese whispers".  Engineer spots a problem.  Engineer reports problem to Openreach.  Openreach reports problem to Retail.  Retail doesn't bother to call you.  You call Retail.  Retail gives you a message that is almost completely un-related to what the engineer originally saw.

0 Ratings