Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mike-
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 25

Engineer service charge

For some months the line has suffered from noise,crackling with the broadband going down. Worked out it happened when it rained. Telephoned 0800 800 151 when the line was crackling. They tested the line and rang back. Explained there was a fault and they were able to confirm it was inside the house and if an engineer called it would cost £127.99 on that basis. Spent a week testing everything in the house, found nothing and then rang back to book the engineer.

He called on a nice sunny day and found nothing. My house wiring was fine afer all. He confirmed that he would be unable to locate the line fault in the absence of the line noise, but couldn't stay until it rained.The following day it rained and the line crackled for hours, telephoned and was informed the engineer had made alterations which would take effect over the next 24 hrs. The crackling continues months later.

My bill arrived and has a charge and I am informed the indian lady says she read a card out to me, which she didn't, advising me that a charge would also be made if 'the engineer deemed the service to be fault free and the visit unnecessary'. The BT records confirm both before and after the visit the line had a fault on it, and since BT state that noise on the line is a 'fault' (actually its a symptom) then surely that means the visit was 'necessary. Also the engineer confirmed he couldn't possibly resolve the line fault (that would be the one confirmed by BT) in the absence of any line noise (that would be the intermittent noise which occurs when it rains and the faulty line becomes damp). So was in no position to confirm the line was fault free, only noise free. Not the same thing. The absence of a symptom doesn't prove the absence of a problem.

I telephoned and spoke to christine who said they would get a transcript of the phone call, and would call back in 48 hours. They didn't, I did and it seems the phone call wasn't recorded. Shirley confirmed that her line Manager would ring within 2 hrs. She didn't. I telephoned and spoke to Deidre in Soiuth Wales who informed me Lyn the manager in Warrington had left for the day but cathy would leave a message on her desk.

Is it just me?

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Mike-
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 25

Re: Engineer service charge

No response (surprise) Otelo advise if I can show I have made an effort and BT haven't then it stands in my favour, when the case is transferred to them. So it looks as if I will be keeping detailed notes for 8 weeks, date, time, contact name (including surname) etc.
0 Ratings
ernie_c
Expert
Message 3 of 25

@Mike- wrote:
No response (surprise) Otelo advise if I can show I have made an effort and BT haven't then it stands in my favour, when the case is transferred to them. So it looks as if I will be keeping detailed notes for 8 weeks, date, time, contact name (including surname) etc.

This forum, I guess, is not part of the formal complaint process within BT and so you should not expect an answer here.

If you feel that you have exhausted the formal complaint process and not had a satisfactory resolution then OTELO is indeeed the correct organisation to help you resolve the situation.

0 Ratings
Mike-
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 25

tel call recd from duty Mngr Yvonne at 5.35pm asked her to hold for 30 seconds she agreed, when I got back the phone was dead telephoned back immediately on 0800 800 151 and was told she had left for the day. It doesn't get much better.
0 Ratings
Mike-
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 25

Many thanks. BT has a solid complaints procedure, there is a long way to go b4 it is exhausted. I am using this as a public log. Otelo can access it and will therefore see I have made every effort to resolve the complaint if it is tr in 7 weeks. It answers BT's own log and the internet shows there is a public interest in the handling of intermittent faults by BT. No one seems to have contested that 'noise' is not the fault but the symptom. I'm interested in seeing the view of Otelo on this and so I suspect are a lot of other people..
0 Ratings
Mike-
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 25

By the way this started because a lady in India said one thing and I said another. So I record my calls now; sensible. The person from BT I spoke to at 5.38 pm said I should advise people if I am recording. Leaving aside the rebuttal of 'mutuality' I think BT and its staff need familiarization with the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (Ripa).
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article740615.ece
0 Ratings
Mike-
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 25

well Yvonne left a message she would ring me today having cut me off on Friday but hasn't. Usual fallback is 'I rang but you were out'. Which doesn't wash since I spent all day in the house. I mean its freezing outside. Will leave things for a day or so; really is tiresome.

0 Ratings
bibel
Message 8 of 25

thanks for information...

0 Ratings
Mike-
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 25

6/12 @ 14.50 yvonne hadn’t called back so tel got through to Newport South Wales Yvonne’s line was busy so it was suggested an e-mail could be sent. I declined and was put through to Greg the mngr there. He had read the file and was adamant the chrge would not be refunded on three counts 1/ since the charge had been applied to my bank account the BT charge had been accepted. I said there was a difference to my bank account being charged and my 'accepting' the charge. The direct debit scheme makes that clear and thus it did not stop me from complaining about it. 2/ The lady in India had confirmed she had read out the card and would not have been able to book the engineer unless she had. When I suggested all she had done was tick a box he said she had raised a note, same thing. My contention is her action doesn’t confirm the card had been read out only that she says she had. 3/ That the engineer called and confirmed there was no fault on the line. I said no noise doesn’t mean no fault. He then said if there had been a fault then I would have complained since August and I informed him I had complained within 24 hrs of the visit. Oh dear oh dear. As an ex manager of a call centre for a major bank (amongst other things) I think Greg could tighten up his customer care skills.

I insisted I needed to speak to a senior mngr in accordance with BT’s complaint procedure only to be advised I was wasting my time the charge would not be refunded. I suggested to Greg his attitude was making his Senior Mngr redundant. Greg informed me I could expect a call from a senior mngr in 72 hrs we will see.

I do not expect BT to change their tune on this only the ombudsmen will be willing to look at things differently away from the company mantra.

Wonderfully enough the line then crackled, broadband dropped and I couldn’t immediately post this on the forum. Hey ho.tel 0800 800 151.  @15.39 and had a very nice conversation with Adam who was kind courteous and efficient. Having been the point of contact with BT for a major bank I know BT do have some exceptional people on board but they seem to be mainly siphoned off to the corporate teams who were a joy to deal with. 

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 10 of 25

Hi Mike-,

By the sound of it you're not getting very far with both your line fault and complaint, and I sorry for the problems you've had so far.

If you could email in your forum username and BT account number to the email address registered against my profile (under "about me") we'll get back to you about this.

Thanks,

Stephanie
Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings