cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marklfc770
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Engineer visit to install bt infinity

Hi I am a bit curious to how bt decide when you need an engineer to install bt infinity, I had infinity installed in August which was a self install the engineer just connected me at exchange I live in a house built in the 60's which has an old style master socket which doesn't have a test socket built in. My uncle just ordered bt infinity same package as mine his house is only 10 years old so has a newer style master socket. His email said that the engineer is going to change the faceplate. Will this make a major difference to my difference to his connection speed etc and why wouldn't I have been offered an engineer visit especially since my master socket is old
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Jarheadleeds
Beginner
Message 2 of 17

Re: Engineer visit to install bt infinity

What speeds are you currently getting mark ? You can find out by logging into the router by typing 192.168.1.254 in the big search bar at the top and then going into troubleshooting and then helpdesk. It will ask you for a password on the way along which is on the card on the router. Copy the first 8 lines in there for me and Il see. They say that an old socket will be fine and just use a filter but if yours doesn't even have a test socket it really does want changing, unless of course that's not the master socket you're using.
0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 17

Infinity 1 is self-install unless Openreach records indicate the line may have problems which necessitate an engineer-install.

Currently, Infinity 2 is engineer-install.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
SteveS99
Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Not all Infinity 2 are engineer installs these days.

I just had an Infinity 2 self-install as an upgrade to regular BT Broadband. I dont have an OpenReach modem. Just a Hub 5 plugged via microfilter into a regular socket. See my experience here:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Infinity-2-Self-Install-so-far-so-good/td-p/1417...

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 17

As you can see here, Infinity 2 is engineer-install. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48324
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

The mods have already posted that openreach are trialling self install for infinity 2. - From memory it was people with estimates of 79mb+. if I find the link I will post it https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Infinity-instal-conflicting-advice-from-BT/td-p/...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
SteveS99
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

@ray_dorset

Yes - I saw that page before I ordered Infinity 2  - and that is why in my linked post I said I was expecting to have to book an engineer visit when I ordered online.

But the reality was I was not prompted - and I did not have to have an engineer visit.

I had a successful self-install of Infinity 2.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 17

So what speed are you getting?

Infinity is very dependant on good quality wiring
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
SteveS99
Contributor
Message 9 of 17

My whole experience is detailed in that original post that I linked to. But seeing as yous asked I get 75Mb Download and 14 MB upload with a wired connection to a Mac.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 17

Can you post your line stats please?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings