cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
willowpeg
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Engineer visits - timing query

Does anyone know if Openreach engineers contact customers to arrange visits? I've got no leave left from work so can only be at home at certain times if given enough notice to arrange cover.

I reported a fault with home phone/broadband which was subsequently found to be on the bt network (at the exchange on the diagram kindly provided) and I was given a target resolution time/date. Just as I was about to leave the house last Fri an engineer arrived unannounced and as he didn't know how long he would be, it wasn't convenient so he said I had to ring my service provider (BT) and rearrange an appointment as they need to check the line.

I contacted customer services who took a contact no and told me an engineer would be in touch. Just as I was leaving for work yesterday (Mon) an engineer arrived again unannounced, I explained that I had to go to work and that the engineers were supposed to be ringing before coming out, he said that wouldn't happen and BT customer service were giving out incorrect information and I would have to contact them again. I did so and was told that if I provided a contact no the engineers would ring before coming out. I explained that the last engineer had said they wouldn't ring but the BT customer service agent insists that they will. I have now noticed that the update on my fault online states that was  allocated to an engineer again this afternoon, but I have had no tel call/e-mail and unfortunately my crystal ball is also on the blink so I have no idea what is going on. Needless to say the deadline for fixing the fault has passed and I am none the wiser about what is happening. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Engineer visits - timing query

Hi

The Openreach engineers themselves would not make appointments, they "should" ring ahead of an appointment to give an ETA.

Any appointments or re-appontments would need to be made via your Comms Provider.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

If the engineers have been given a non-appointed job they are supposed to do what they can to fix it. Sometimes this means getting access to the socket in your home to make sure they get the right line in the street cab or to make sure things are working before they close the job as complete.

plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

They are actually under no obligation to ring ahead except when they are on an FTTC provision because they need to warn you the line will go off while they carry out work at the cabinet.

Also most engineers get what they call Lucky Dip, as in one job at a time so they have no idea where they will be next. It would be difficult for them to ring ahead, say one hour if the job they just finished is a two minute drive away.

Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

Always been told that RARA (ring ahead) is mandatory for all appointed jobs.

@plainview wrote:

They are actually under no obligation to ring ahead except when they are on an FTTC provision because they need to warn you the line will go off while they carry out work at the cabinet.

plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

@Deathtrap3000

You should know by now there is no such thing as consistency for different patches.

Anyway, the way I see it is if you make an appointment between 8 and 1 then be there between 8 and 1. I ain't got time to sit outside someone's house for 15-30 mins while they nip back from town.

Also for Mobile guys, we have to be on site at 8am, how does ring ahead work with that?

0 Ratings
rhyds
Expert
Message 7 of 8

Anyway, the way I see it is if you make an appointment between 8 and 1 then be there between 8 and 1. I ain't got time to sit outside someone's house for 15-30 mins while they nip back from town.

And conversely I bet all those customers who have waited in all day for an engineer not to turn up thought the same...

The thing is customers very rarely get a choice of when their engineer will turn up as appointments are twice removed from them (via their comms co, then OR). If I ever needed an engineer I'd much rather a quick call to my workplace when their coming over, as I can be in my house within 5 mins. It can't be beyond the wit of man to sort that can it?

0 Ratings
willowpeg
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

If I had made an appointment for between 8 & 1 then I would be there, but when engineers turn up without an appointment and expect it to be convenient, then asking for a heads up they are coming may either save them some time/trouble if there is no one going to be in or as I work 5 mins away from home, would enable someone to possibly be at home when they get there (allowing for undersatnding managers at work). Like you I ain't got time to sit at home 24/7 when I have been given no clue as to when they need me to be in.

0 Ratings