cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hambo71
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Engineers charge of £129.99 applied unfiarly - want to dispute and getting NOWHERE with BT

Engineer visitied my house around a month ago as BT phone line had stopped working. Told me it was the cable from the external bracket on my house to the telegraph pole across the street that was faulty and needed to be replaced. Said there would be no charge as it was an external fault.

Engineer replaced cable from bracket on exterior corner of my house to the telegrapoh pole and left. Phone line resumed working. At no point did the BT engineer step inside my house and no work took place below roof level where the cable was attached.

I have had a charge of £129.99 applied to my account. Spent 30 mins on chat with BT. I have a screengrab of the BT represenative saying "I have checked your account and investigated the case and openreach system and found that the fault was outside"......."only the Engineer Home Improvement team can refund the charges".

Having waited three days I get a call from BT and am told that the charges will not be refunded because the engineer's report says the fault was due to dmage within my properety boundary. When I explained that the engineer told me the work would not be chargeable before I gave the go ahead to do it I was told that the engineers are sub-contractors and "don't really understand the charging policy".

This is disgarceful behaviour and has left us short on money at the worst possible time of the year. I am a lawyer and fullly aware of my rights. The engineer's statement the work would not be chargeable and my acceptance of that constitues a valid and binding contract between BT and myself. BT cannot unilaterally now decide to change the terms of that contract regardless of what an engineers report says or doesn't say.

I am getting absolutely nowhere with BT. I've been told on chat it was external work and I would get a refund now I am being told I won't.

Mods - how do I go about sorting this out without resorting to small claims court? 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Engineers charge of £129.99 applied unfiarly - want to dispute and getting NOWHERE with BT

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 3 of 8

Re: Engineers charge of £129.99 applied unfiarly - want to dispute and getting NOWHERE with BT

Hi @hambo71 Sorry about the unexpected engineer visit charge on your bill.

You have been in touch with the the correct team who deal with these call out charge disputes. As you remained unhappy with the charge they should have offered you the opportunity to have the charge reviewed at the next level. Do you know if they have arranged this for you?

cheers

John 

0 Ratings
hambo71
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

They did - with the helpful comment that "they are unlikely to think any different".

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Does any of this apply to your repair?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

As a you have said you are a lawyer I am surprised that you stated your contract only started after the repair was carried out and you spoke to the engineer. I'd be surprised if the engineer is in any way able to make a contract on behalf of BT that is enforceable in law.

As I am sure you would know, your contract would have began when you called BT and it was agreed that an engineer would be sent out. At that point you would have been warned that there could be a £130 charge depending on what/where the fault was. Had you not agreed to that you would not have had an engineer visit.

The engineer would appear to have given you his opinion that there would be no charge because it is not his decision to make. The decision to charge or not is made after the engineer has submitted his report which forms the basis of whether to charge.

Going by the link that Keith Beddoe has posted it would appear that you may well be libel for the charge however it is not unknown for BT to waive the charge so please keep us updated with the out come.

0 Ratings
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

The Engineer works for Openreach and not BT. They have absolutely no say so if a charge is raised or not.

It used to be they raised the charge based on a Fault Clear Code but this was scrapped some time ago and Openreach Engineers now close Jobs using a Question Based Closure Template and if a Charge is applicable this is raised and passed onto the Circuit Provider, who then may or may not pass it onto their Customer.

Openreach Engineers have specifically been told NOT to discuss Charges with End Users because they are not in a position to confirm if they will or won't be raised.
olibruce11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Did you get anywhere with this? I am in the same position and on the verge of issuing court proceedings, so would be interested to hear your outcome please?
0 Ratings