Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shaun127
Beginner
Message 1 of 35

Equipment rental charges from BT

Hello,

I had my elderly mother down at my house yesterday as she wanted me to arrange a braodband package for her.

When looking at her BT Bill I noticed a rental charge for a "entry level corded Phone." She then told me she had been paying this rental charge for 26 years approx. I phoned BT re the broadband ( I have permission to deal with her account set up with BT) and while on the phone they agreed to cancel this rental charge and there was no need to send the equipment back.

after doing this and being annoyed that she had been paying rental for 26 years I had a look round on the net and found that you only need to rent equipment for 18 months, then  they allow you to keep the equipment and you no longer pay?

If this is true I think it disgraceful that Bt have allowed and elderly pensioner to continue to pay rental for 26 years, ok its not alot of money etc but still think it should be reimbursed.

what do you think and what do you think the best way to go about reimbursement is

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 35

Re: Equipment rental charges from BT

@shaun127 wrote:snip

what do you think and what do you think the best way to go about reimbursement is

Hi shaun127 and welcome

Well I think that it is 'not very nice' of BT IF this has been allowed to continue for 26 years.

What would I do? - See if your mother has kept any older bills as proof or call them again to get them to confirm just how long this has gone on for. You could try sending an email to forum.moderation.team@bt.com with your mothers account details and a link back to this thread. Make sure that you tell the mods that you have the account holders permission. If you don't get a resolution using the above I'd be writing an email to the CEO. This link will provide you with his name and you can email him direct on his firstname.lastname@BT.com.

Let us know how you get on

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
shaun127
Beginner
Message 3 of 35

Ds

Thank you for your reply. I will phone my mum tomorrow and get the account details and do as you suggest.

I will let you know how I get on

Thank you again.

0 Ratings
redleg
Beginner
Message 4 of 35

@shaun127 wrote:

Ds

Thank you for your reply. I will phone my mum tomorrow and get the account details and do as you suggest.

I will let you know how I get on

Thank you again.

Hi Shaun, How did you get on with a refund from BT, i have a similar issue & would be interested to know

if its worth my while to try & claim anything back for all those years when renting?

Regards

Ian.

0 Ratings
crockers
Message 5 of 35

Ditto: My mother is in the same position, having been charged for equipment every month for over 10 years at her present address with no equipment ever installed.

Any news? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 35

Hi Redleg,

Thanks for posting. I can check what rental charges you might have on your bill but it is really your responsibility to check the bill and contact us if you have any queries. Drop me an email with the account details to forum.moderation.team@bt.com and include a link to this thread for reference.

@Crockers,

I can check yours as well. Drop me an email with the details and we’ll take it from there.

Cheers

David

frattonbill
Beginner
Message 7 of 35

My elderly aunt has been paying for a "viscount" phone that was left at her house when she moved in 25 years ago or more (currently £3.36 for 3 months), how do we stop the charge and return this museum piece of equipment. Any chance that BT will reduce her charges, she is "old school" and will not go DD in case she hasn't the funds in her bank account, so this is probably the only saving she can make. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 35

Hi Frattonbill,

Thanks for posting. I'm sure I can get this sorted. Drop me an email with the account details to the address in my profile and we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
frattonbill
Beginner
Message 9 of 35

Re: Equipment rental charges from BT (Solved)

Thanks David, Just had an e-mail from Stephanie and it has been sorted.

Thank you all for your help.

0 Ratings
grinner66
Beginner
Message 10 of 35

Hi,

I have a similar issue with this as well. I have been trying to upgrade the phone we have rented from BT for some time now. The online 'help' section has been no help at all.

I have been a BT customer for well over 20 years and have continued to pay rental for a 

Relate 250 phone for all of this time.

If what Shaun says is true, and I should have only paid rental fees for 18 months, why have I been paying equipment rental fees for all these years? I think I am due some money back from BT! Otherwise, it doesn't seem like BT are treating their customers fairly.

Please contact me to discuss.

0 Ratings