cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starman
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 35

Re: Equipment rental charges from BT

I understand why people rented phones in the past when British Telecom was a nationalised company and you could only buy from them. But that was rather a long time ago now and a quick look at the local Tesco's or Argos and landline phones are not that expensive.

----
BT Infinity (EASTF) 58.93/15.94 Mbps [IP Profile: 60.8/20 Mbps] using Openreach Modem & Billion BiPAC 7800N

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 35

Hi grinner66 and welcome

You can't set up a phone rental agreement online, only by phone. The following link confirms this

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13012/~/is-it-possible-to-rent-phones-from-bt%3F

There isn't (well I can't find it) any official BT info regarding the 18 month rental fees online, but I've read that at least one other has been told by BT that the 18 month term is correct.

I'd call them on 150 (from your BT landline) to discuss this....

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 35

There is an advantage if you are not familiar with newish technology in that BT have to maintain all the internal wiring and the old phone. So if there is a fault on the phone they will not be able to repair it and they will, as they have no other choice install a new termination box (NTE5) and update any wiring. You can then cancel the rental and plug your own nice new phone into the socket and it will have cost you less than one months rental charge. Of course if you want to be difficult and continue to pay the rental and the old phone / wiring is faulty then BT must repace the phone and repair any wiring at no cost to you and continue to maintain your new phone.

0 Ratings
Graywine
Message 14 of 35

Exactly the same has been happening to me!  I'm embarrassed to say I haven't checked my phone bill for years, but today I turned the paper over and found "equipment rental".......  I have emailed the forum moderation team already...  I'm looking forward to a refund.  I will come back here to let you know the outcome.  Thank you BT forum!

0 Ratings
Graywine
Message 15 of 35

I haven't had a response to my email yet....... did I say thank you too soon?!  I was hoping to get all the equipment rental charges refunded.

Can you check this out for me please?

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 16 of 35

Hi Graywine,

I have your email here so leave it with me, I'll check this now and get back to you 🙂

Stephanie

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Robinphil
Message 17 of 35

I've been paying this too for years and years! I've just sent an email to the address you give. I hope it is still current.
0 Ratings
Sandyshore
Beginner
Message 18 of 35

Smiley Sad I'm pleased I found this site while trying to find out how to contact BT with regards to the phone my elderly mother has been renting for 17 years and I too have sent an email to the address provided but after more than a week have not yet had an acknowledgement.

I would be interested to hear whether anyone had succeeded in having some of their payments returned.

0 Ratings
grinner66
Beginner
Message 19 of 35

In response to your enquiry, I am sad to say that BT have been most unhelpful in this regard. I have received their deadlock letter and have now contacted the Ombudsman Services: Website: www.otelo.org.uk.

0 Ratings
mickdonnelly
Beginner
Message 20 of 35

I have just found out about this thread. I have been paying an equipment rental charge every month for the last 25 years. Should I still be paying, or am I entitled to a refund? Could someone tell me please.

Mick.

0 Ratings