Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grinner66
Beginner
Message 21 of 35

Re: Equipment rental charges from BT

Hi Mick,

I have found myself in a similar position to you, but only 20 years! I was told by 2 BT employees that they (BT) are only entitled to charge rental fees for 18 months. That's not a mistake - 18 MONTHS.

My only advice to you would be to make a formal complaint to BT and if you are not happy with BT's response, once you have received BT's deadlock letter contact the Ombudsman (see my previous message). Be warned however - the Ombudsman is inundated with complaints (not just about BT) so it may take some time.

All the best!

0 Ratings
fratton_bill
Beginner
Message 22 of 35

Hi Mick, I did get BT to stop charging my Aunt for the equipment but they did not back date what they had been charging for years. The equipment is so old maybe a museum or collector would be interested to buy it! Get in touch with their customer services and keep chipping away until you get what you want - remember you are their customer, they are not the only supplier of telephone services. Be polite but firm. 

Best of luck,

fratton_bill

0 Ratings
LesE
Beginner
Message 23 of 35

Has anyone ever had any success at all in getting a refund from BT for telephone rental charges that have been paid for many, many years?  I came acrosss this forum by accident and was astonished to read that equipment rental does not have to be paid after 18 months.  I have just cancelled my rental on two phones, which I can keep (wow !!) but was told I would not get any back-dated refund.

0 Ratings
grinner66
Beginner
Message 24 of 35

Les,

Unfortunately not. BT did offer to refund one quarter's worth of rental charges, but considering they had taken close to £300 extra from me, I wasn't impressed.

I went through the whole Complaint process with BT, received their 'deadlock' letter, went to the Ombudsman, appealed their decision to not uphold my complaint, appealed the Ombudsman's response..... and got precisely nowhere with it!

I have voted with my feet.

By the way, BT were still daft enough to try and charge me on my final bill for line rental up till March 2012, even though I closed my account with them in November 2011. It's taken 3 months and 4 phonecalls to get the right bill from them, and in the meantime I received increasingly threatening letters from BT saying that if I didn't pay the whole bill (including the line rental) I would be referred to a debt collection agency and it would affect my credit rating.

I stood my ground, but imagine how this sort of treatment would have made an elderly person feel? BT should hang their collective head in shame!

Grinner66

(ps - it would be interesting to see if this entire message is posted without being edited by the Moderators! I will check in and let you know!)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 25 of 35

@grinner66 wrote:

Les,

Unfortunately not. BT did offer to refund one quarter's worth of rental charges, but considering they had taken close to £300 extra from me, I wasn't impressed.

I went through the whole Complaint process with BT, received their 'deadlock' letter, went to the Ombudsman, appealed their decision to not uphold my complaint, appealed the Ombudsman's response..... and got precisely nowhere with it!

I have voted with my feet.

By the way, BT were still daft enough to try and charge me on my final bill for line rental up till March 2012, even though I closed my account with them in November 2011. It's taken 3 months and 4 phonecalls to get the right bill from them, and in the meantime I received increasingly threatening letters from BT saying that if I didn't pay the whole bill (including the line rental) I would be referred to a debt collection agency and it would affect my credit rating.

I stood my ground, but imagine how this sort of treatment would have made an elderly person feel? BT should hang their collective head in shame!

Grinner66

(ps - it would be interesting to see if this entire message is posted without being edited by the Moderators! I will check in and let you know!)

There is no need, if a MOD edits the message , it will show edited by MOD NAME

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
LesE
Beginner
Message 26 of 35

Thanks for the response.  I guess that's another epic win for the big boys.  You can imagine that if the thousands or tens of thousands of BT customers who are probably in the same position all asked for their money back in these circumstances, bills would go up even more.  I admire your persistence.  Good luck with your new provider.

0 Ratings
darkenigma
Beginner
Message 27 of 35

Is it true that you only need to pay equipment rental for 18months then you get to keep the equipment and the charges should stop?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
LesE
Beginner
Message 28 of 35

That's how I understand it.  BT's supposed usp is that if the phone(s) you rent from them break down then they replace them "foc".  I've had my phones for over 20 years and they have never failed.  I was paying rental on them for all that time.  Doh !!!

0 Ratings
darkenigma
Beginner
Message 29 of 35

i did read that on this post but when i used the online chat help to confirm they just gave me attitude and fobbed me off, not impressed so thanks for the response
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 30 of 35

@darkenigma wrote:
i did read that on this post but when i used the online chat help to confirm they just gave me attitude and fobbed me off, not impressed so thanks for the response

See your other postSmiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings