cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dan89
Message 1 of 6

Erratic Internet Speed Causing Connection Problems

Hi BTCare,

I have been a BT Broadband Customer for many years and haven't faced any difficulties up until a week ago; I have the original white home hub. In June 2010 an ADSL upgrade was carried out in my area and since that time I have been able to achieve 10mb Broadband speed consistently (Peak & Non-Peak) without any problems.

In the past 5-7 days my Internet Speed has been slowly deteriorating and is now becoming almost un-usable. Earlier in the week the speed dropped to around 5mb and I contacted BT Support over the phone and they instructed me to run speed tests throughout the day suggesting that the problem may lie with internet activity in my area increasing during peak times. This didn't seem to be the case as the speed tests were returning similar speeds regardless of what time of day I carried out the tests.

Since then my speeds have continued to decline to as low as 1mb at times which has now made it difficult to even use the internet as even loading web pages sometimes takes up to 30 seconds. Some wireless devices (e.g. iPhone) can't even establish a connection to the router even when I am standing directly in front of it.

I have configured my wireless connection (changing channels etc.); re-starting the router at intervals hoping this will improve matters but this has proved fruitless. I have run a speed test now with the results as follows:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 240 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :5923 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1191 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 8.84:23.63:67.79 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 171 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1191 Kbps

Any support you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Dan

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Erratic Internet Speed Causing Connection Problems

If you post the full stats from your router
For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it
Click on More Details and then post the full results.

then someone may be able to help and offer more advice.
0 Ratings
Dan89
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply,

My ADSL settings are as follows:

Uptime:0 days, 22:49:56
Modulation:G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1,191 / 6,007
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]:153.40 / 3.70

ptime:0 days, 22:50:28
Modulation:G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1,191 / 6,007
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]:153.42 / 3.70
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:11.0 / 23.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:6.5 / 15.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):29 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):2 / 2,035
HEC Errors (Up/Down):1 / 895
Line Profile:Fast

Kind Regards,

Dan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Eamdad
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

woooooh you litrally live nextdoor to the exchnage...

You should be getting near to full speeds.

0 Ratings
Dan89
Message 5 of 6

Well until a week or so ago I was achieving the max speed my line was capable of. Any ideas on how to resolve the issue I am having?

Kind Regards,

Dan

0 Ratings
IceZaroth
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Ok there is a few things here to help you, you can ask a MOD of this forum to request on your behalf a change from :-

1. FAST Path to Interleaved(This helps with errors)

2. Ask to have your DownStream SNR Reset (6db down is the optimal to shoot for) I spotted yours around 15db that will also slow your connection.

P.s of further note, Try to leave your Broadband Router on 24/7, Every time you power off the router you effect your profile on the exchange, I know this might sound strange but trust me it does, When a moderator responds to you and asks to have your broadband reset please make sure that you keep your router powered on/up for a minimum of 10 days this will allow the exchange to train your router/line and to fully stabilise

Kindest Regards

IceZaroth

BT Community Helper

0 Ratings