cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Erratic speeds

I had infinity 2 installed on 23.04 and the ten day settling down period has passed.  I was told to expect in the order of 56mbs.  My concern is the erratic speed results I've been getting which can vary from 0.1mbs  to 67mbs (speednet & VM) wired or wireless.  At times the upload speed greatly exceeds the download speed.  Switching the boxes off and back on normally solves the problem but then over the course of the day it slows down again.  This morning wired directly to the hub I was getting 0.5mbs.  Switching both boxes off resulted in 15 to 30 mbs.  If it settled at 30mbs I'd be quite happy even though its way off the predicted speed.

My question is why is it all over the place?

I haven't phoned BT yet as the tought of going ten rounds with a call centre far far away has me reaching for the rusty razor blade

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: Erratic speeds

I am suffering from the EXACT same problem as you, I get 74mbps d/l and 15mbps u/l for roughly 12 hours and then 1mbps d/l and u/l. Must be HH3, I cannot think what else it could be, there are several threads now including mine all with people suffering similar symptoms. 

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 3 of 14

Not "several" threads but many many threads, and each one containing many "me too" posts as well. Either theHH3 is a pile of doo doo - or there is a huge container load of faulty ones being dished out.

Oh yes, "me too" ... (Apologies to Webby and Aarong - you knew I would chip in!).

Rob

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 4 of 14

@RobFletcher wrote:

Not "several" threads but many many threads, and each one containing many "me too" posts as well. Either theHH3 is a pile of doo doo - or there is a huge container load of faulty ones being dished out.

Oh yes, "me too" ... (Apologies to Webby and Aarong - you knew I would chip in!).

Rob

I'm one of those peeps but I don't think the HH3 is to blame as I tried a Netgear WNDR4500 and no difference.

In my case, my BT NetProtect Plus Firewall is causing the erratic speeds so you might wanna try turning your security firewall off (just to run the test) and see whether this gives you a more consistent test.

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Thanks for that but the lap top I've been running the tests on has the windows firewall and security installed

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Thanks for that.  I'd come to the same conclusion I just need to summon up the courage to enter the twilight zone that is BT.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 7 of 14

Hey lsk,

Let us know how you get on 😉   It'll be interesting to hear what the call centre says about this problem - more so if you just happen tomention that lots of peopl eacross the country experience the same thing on a regular basis. The key thing here is that it seems to be intermittant for many (myself included), so the logical conclusion is that it's a network problem which somehow interacts with your HH3 and causes it to foul up the communication between the HH3 and the white modem.

For fun, you could ask why simply doing a internet disconnect and reconnect vai the hub manager solves the problem - that is, NOT power cycling or resetting the HH3 or Modem. Listen for the silence ... then the response as they find their place on the script ... maybe ... 😉

Hopefully, yours may "sort itself out" ... I had a good 3 weeks with 55-64 megs, then it dropped to 0.5 megs until I reconnected the internet via the HH3 - been fine again now for 2 days. Wierd, eh?

Share and enjoy!!!!

Rob

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Thanks to all who've responded.  At the moment its running at 18 -23 down 11 -14 up. I'll watch it for the next few days and if its no better I'll phone BT.  As you say its odd that switching the HH3 off and back on cures the problem.  

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Hi,

did what you suggested.  Disconnecting via the home hub manager restores the speed for both wired and wifi.  I contacted BT a few days ago.  This morning it was shown as solved but when I connected via cable guess what 0.7 down 0.2 up.  Went into hub manager disconnected/connected and the speed initially went up to high 50s.  I'm now waiting for the engineers on Thursday.  I've got the the type B hub

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 10 of 14

Hi,

Please let us know if a new hub fixes the problem ... it will help us to advise others who have the same issue - and you are not alone at all!

Maybe one day someone at "BT" will collate all the info about erractic speeds and changed hubs and come to the conclusion that the HH3 is not up to the job - if only in that the quality control on them is very poor. Seems to me to be a bad business model ...

Regards

Rob

0 Ratings