cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ffmitchell
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Error 0781 - A familiar tale, it seems !!

Go to solution

Well today I went into BT Mail as usual and keyed in a message to our car club secretary, only to get an error window titled "An error occurred whilst sending", with text: -

An error occurred while sending the message. 
Error 0781. Please call us on 0800 111 4567 so we can help you fix this.

So I rang this number, (this man's a fool, I can hear you all saying !!), because I then had a completely fruitless hour in the phone with a total of four people, none of whom knew anything about this error and who completely failed to sort it out. The last person said I would be contacted by their "email technical team" within the next 48 hours. 

And there the matter rests. I still cannot send e-mails.  BT Help seems to be completely useless when it comes to email problems.  Essentially, it seems BT make such vast sums of money they can treat all their customers with complete contempt, and also fail to train their Helo Desk staff in simple problem resolution. 

I can't help thinking this problem is linked to me getting mailbox error messages most days relating to e-mails that I have never sent out.  Somebody seems to have my email address, and is fooling the system to send out hundreds of emails using my address. 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
NeilO
Message 2 of 14

Re: Error 0781 - A familiar tale, it seems !!

Go to solution

@ffmitchell It sounds like your email address has been compromised and being used to send spam. Please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll raise this with the email team. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

@ffmitchell wrote:

Well today I went into BT Mail as usual and keyed in a message to our car club secretary, only to get an error window titled "An error occurred whilst sending", with text: -

An error occurred while sending the message. 
Error 0781. Please call us on 0800 111 4567 so we can help you fix this.

So I rang this number, (this man's a fool, I can hear you all saying !!), because I then had a completely fruitless hour in the phone with a total of four people, none of whom knew anything about this error and who completely failed to sort it out. The last person said I would be contacted by their "email technical team" within the next 48 hours. 

And there the matter rests. I still cannot send e-mails.  BT Help seems to be completely useless when it comes to email problems.  Essentially, it seems BT make such vast sums of money they can treat all their customers with complete contempt, and also fail to train their Helo Desk staff in simple problem resolution. 

I can't help thinking this problem is linked to me getting mailbox error messages most days relating to e-mails that I have never sent out.  Somebody seems to have my email address, and is fooling the system to send out hundreds of emails using my address. 

Hi.

For starters, your email address has NOT been compromised. Your account has actually been suspended.

What has happened is that a spammer used your email address as the "From" address in some of their spam run. This is common practice for spammers who never use their own email address.

Any failed deliveries and other bounce messages then end up at your email box - as you've seen. These can run into the 10s of 1000s if it was a deliberate attempt, but usually it's 100s initially and then trickles to a stop.

The issue here is that the mail system gets this wrong, and marks your account as a sender of spam - preventing you sending emails. It doesn't realise that this doesn't help one little bit if the spammer chooses to do the same run again.

What I don't understand is that the helpdesk SHOULD know this, as it's a very simple fix. They should know the account has been suspended.

The moderators should also know this, and it was only a few weeks back where it was fixed for another poster - and that took 3 weeks for the help people to understand the issue, which I have described to you.

See the cause I gave only a few weeks back (ignore the bit about Norton) :-

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Error-0781-fix/m-p/1788166#M55005

and then see the kind information supplied by the thread poster to show my cause was correct :-

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Error-0781-fix/m-p/1790591#M55290

To support :-

Please can ffmitchell's account be unlocked as I've said.

ffmitchell
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Still no action as of date and time of this post. So still not able to send emails, and have to use wifes Google facility. Now over 48 hours and promise is to respond within this time. No doubt weekdays only for that 48 hours !

0 Ratings
ffmitchell
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Well, here we are now at 11.35 Monday 11th December and still nothing happening, or at least no messages about this problem. So I suppose I must make 3 hours available to go onto the phone and get shunted round the world to no effect ! I'm geting inbound emails OK, I just can't answer them directly, I have to copy and paste into wife's Google mail facility.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

@ffmitchell wrote:

Well, here we are now at 11.35 Monday 11th December and still nothing happening, or at least no messages about this problem. So I suppose I must make 3 hours available to go onto the phone and get shunted round the world to no effect ! I'm geting inbound emails OK, I just can't answer them directly, I have to copy and paste into wife's Google mail facility.

Did you contact the moderator following their initial post?

0 Ratings
ffmitchell
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Yes, got an auto-generated email with reference number Incident:*Edited by Mod*. Contacted again this morning and got another auto-email with a new reference number, *Edited by Mod*!
I hope this doesn't get anybody confused, but what else can you do ? I don't want another fruitless runaround on the phone like last week.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

They are a fairly busy team.

Please edit your post to remove the reference numbers.

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @ffmitchell Sorry we have not been in touch with you yet. I've checked and your original case is near the top of our queue and you should be contacted later today.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @ffmitchell I'm sorry about the issues with your email and for the delay replying.  I tried calling there but missed you, I've escalated your fault with our tier two email technical support team who understand the issue and will get this fixed.  As soon as we have any further updates we'll get back in touch with you.

0 Ratings