Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Hello.

And before I get to the main point: I'm new to the forum, and have just drafted an entire message, gone to 'preview', found a couple of things to edit, and been unable to get back to my text in editable form, and have lost the whole message instead. Hints, please ?

Anyway, to the main point:

I get the following glitch from time to time. I (usually wake up and) find that I can get into my emails on BT Yahoo! itself perfectly well, but that OE6 is suddenly requiring confirmation of my logon details, and rejecting my password.

I've never found anything that I can do about it, except change my password, which itself implies a period of down-time - so usually I just keave it and it clears spontaneously within hours or a day at most.

On the face of it Error Number: 0x800CCC92 points the finger at the server - except that I have already been in on the server directly, and found all working fine. Maybe BT are doing maintenance at these times, which allows direct direct access, but not through third parties ?

I'd be very interested to know if other users get this as a recurrent problem. And it'd be nice if the moderator or other BT rep would give an official version and advice.

Best wishes

Ian G.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Christine
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Error Number: 0x800CCC92

From Microsoft website

Error 0x800CCC92

Check your Outlook settings, making sure that your POP3 and SMTP usernames, passwords and servers are correct.
If you are still getting this error, it is possible that your password has somehow become corrupted. Try changing it in your account's control panel.
Also, make sure that your account and domain name are still active.

Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 13

@idg wrote:

Hello.

And before I get to the main point: I'm new to the forum, and have just drafted an entire message, gone to 'preview', found a couple of things to edit, and been unable to get back to my text in editable form, and have lost the whole message instead. Hints, please ?

Anyway, to the main point:

I get the following glitch from time to time. I (usually wake up and) find that I can get into my emails on BT Yahoo! itself perfectly well, but that OE6 is suddenly requiring confirmation of my logon details, and rejecting my password.

I've never found anything that I can do about it, except change my password, which itself implies a period of down-time - so usually I just keave it and it clears spontaneously within hours or a day at most.

On the face of it Error Number: 0x800CCC92 points the finger at the server - except that I have already been in on the server directly, and found all working fine. Maybe BT are doing maintenance at these times, which allows direct direct access, but not through third parties ?

I'd be very interested to know if other users get this as a recurrent problem. And it'd be nice if the moderator or other BT rep would give an official version and advice.

Best wishes

Ian G.

Hi Ian.

Can you clear up a coiuple of things. Is this all to do with receipt of btinternet emails ? And why would altering a password mean downtime ?

This error seems to happen to some people from time to time as you've seen. It's nothing at your end per se, unless it happens after say an AV product update which may interfere for a while.

0 Ratings
idg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

It's at it again ! I booted up this morning, checked my emails, everything was fine. I've been out during the day, turned off the PC. Rebooted when I came home, and there was the problem again. Restarted just to be sure. No improvement.

I do appreciate the input of those members who are advising me to check my settings etc. but with respect, experience shows that is beside the point. Maybe there will come a day when my password is corrupted and I need to reset it, but the pattern is, as I've tried to make clear, that normally there is a 'spontaneous' recovery i.e. one without me doing anything to my settings or PC. Which argues very strongly to me that the problem is not with me. Outlook Express can send outgoing messages, I can get onto BTYahoo itself with the same password, it is simply that BTYahoo rejects authorisation of Outlook Express to download messages.

This is a BT forum, and so far as I can see, no BT rep has seen fit to come in on the discussion. If this is 'Sunday working', (like on the trains), why can't they (won't they ?) give advance warning ? Like so much business 'help' online, this forum looks like a crumple zone rather than a serious effort to engage paying customers who are getting shoddy service.

Sincerely

Ian Graham
0 Ratings
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 13

Solely because I hate to leave without trying to help someone.

This link might help?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080410163637AAvX81y

Now I'm out of here!

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

@idg wrote:
It's at it again ! I booted up this morning, checked my emails, everything was fine. I've been out during the day, turned off the PC. Rebooted when I came home, and there was the problem again. Restarted just to be sure. No improvement.

I do appreciate the input of those members who are advising me to check my settings etc. but with respect, experience shows that is beside the point. Maybe there will come a day when my password is corrupted and I need to reset it, but the pattern is, as I've tried to make clear, that normally there is a 'spontaneous' recovery i.e. one without me doing anything to my settings or PC. Which argues very strongly to me that the problem is not with me. Outlook Express can send outgoing messages, I can get onto BTYahoo itself with the same password, it is simply that BTYahoo rejects authorisation of Outlook Express to download messages.

Ian Graham

Hi again Ian.

As I mentioned elsewhere, is there a chance that any of your AV or security products are causing this problem? You've not said what you are using for these - especially if they auto-update.

It could be a problem with your account pop3 access, so you may as the last poster mentioned, alter the pop server to :-

pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk (making sure that you use the full email address in the settings)

as mentioned in my shortcuts option 0d/h.

idg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Thanks to both PheeragHfre and Andy for their time and suggestions.

Just to update: I checked OE at boot-down/bedtime  last night, and 'IT' had cleared without any remedial action from me - OE authorised and downloaded accumulated email smoothly.

I use AVG free and Windows Defender. I can see the theory that a update download might be a system change event, but, frankly, it doesn't seem likely to me. For two reasons (1) the usual killer fact that viewed from here the glitch eppears to clear itself (2) the fact that the glitch is a repeated but occasional event. AVG updates daily - if that were the cause, I'd expect the problem to be more constant.

I'm sorry to sound like a stuck CD, but the fact I run smoothly for weeks at a time (this last brief recurrence after just a week is very unusual) argues my settings are fine. If you incline to the notion that when something goes wrong, my settings have got corrupted, you then have to account for what I've called the 'spontaneous' recovery (as viewed from here). That combination looks very long odds to me. Occam's Razor suggests to me that a single intrusive event entirely outside my system is much more likely.

And while the powers that be aren't racing in to help, equally they're not denying it, are they ?

Sincerely

Ian G.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 13

@idg wrote:

Thanks to both PheeragHfre and Andy for their time and suggestions.

Just to update: I checked OE at boot-down/bedtime  last night, and 'IT' had cleared without any remedial action from me - OE authorised and downloaded accumulated email smoothly.

I use AVG free and Windows Defender. I can see the theory that a update download might be a system change event, but, frankly, it doesn't seem likely to me. For two reasons (1) the usual killer fact that viewed from here the glitch eppears to clear itself (2) the fact that the glitch is a repeated but occasional event. AVG updates daily - if that were the cause, I'd expect the problem to be more constant.

I'm sorry to sound like a stuck CD, but the fact I run smoothly for weeks at a time (this last brief recurrence after just a week is very unusual) argues my settings are fine. If you incline to the notion that when something goes wrong, my settings have got corrupted, you then have to account for what I've called the 'spontaneous' recovery (as viewed from here). That combination looks very long odds to me. Occam's Razor suggests to me that a single intrusive event entirely outside my system is much more likely.

And while the powers that be aren't racing in to help, equally they're not denying it, are they ?

Sincerely

Ian G.

Thanks for the update Ian.

My suggestions were only to really exclude them totally from any possible problem, though only a small chance anyway.

The problem is clearly a mail server problem for your access, and possibly a slight corrupt account which self clears after a while. I actually don't believe there is a lot that can be done to be honest (apart from trying with the other mail server setting to see how that goes), sporadic access errors are extremely difficult to trace I would guess. Yours do seem to re-occur more than other reports I've seen.

The only way to find out any problem is a one to one, check where you are talking to a broadband engineer who has access to all the servers and login stuff so that the can see exactly what is happenning at the exact time of the problem.

0 Ratings
MarkRocketman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Sadly been here done that and got the Tshirt!

I have had this error in the past exactly as experienced by other members of the forum. Iv tried all the fixes as described by MS for both this error and the ultimate “Network Password” request pop up.

Iv spent much exasperating time with BT’s help desk who clearly don’t understand the issue at first level and “expert” support team have lot of ideas but no absolute resolution ……including “Its probably your router “ please use the BT one ….. guess what ? ….. for a few days that did not fix the problem… then the problem went away  ( reset \ reconfigure at Yahoo’s end?) ……but not to worry its back again now!  The router has been remotely configured by BT Fon and BT Openzone are now active ….humm what a pain!  I have to believe the issue lies with server configuration. I have used several other Outlook systems against MS Exchange servers and never experienced this problem save for a missing patch on the server.

Moan over lets get back to trying to resolve the issue ………Phone!

0 Ratings
Julia0
Message 10 of 13

Can't download mail with password - Re: Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Hi all.

I'm getting this issue now, having had months of error free mailing - and have experienced it in the past. I use a different antivirus to the ones listed above (which eliminates a particular firewall being the culprit). From past experience i 'know' this is an issue at the server. Logging into your account - leaving yourself logged in, and then downloading your mail on your local package, appears to work.. Which also suggests a problem with the server. Surely this must simply be an issue where the BT/Yahoo server security 'objects' to collecting mail locally.

Even when my local package appears to download the mail successfully, they don't always download. So if you are getting this issue it will be a good idea to check your mail online anyway. I will not be changing my local settings and will wait for the issue to clear on its own. If it doesn't i'll be back! Don't let BT convince you this is a problem your end!

rgds

Julia

0 Ratings