Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 43

Re: Error code when sending: Cannot send message due to possible abuse

@ajwh wrote:
No, I'm using mail.btinternet.com on 587 which has worked for a long time until this morning...

Perhaps that has been taken offline now, or it is faulty. Try the settings I suggested, and see if it works then.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 43

0 Ratings
ajwh
Contributor
Message 13 of 43

OK!!!

From a hint on a Yahoo forum where this problem is also happening, the issue seems to be HTML vs text coding.

If I take a message which fails on forwarding, and force the reply into plain text by holding down the shift key as I select forward, the message goes succesfully.

I still don't know if it's a TB issue or a Yahoo issue....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 43

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

I assume you are all using smtp.mail.yahoo.com  port 465 ?

You can't just use those settings, you need to make sure that SSL/TLS is also "enabled" as well as full email address in the settings. It's not the official server or port to use with BTinternet.

In fact no-one should actually be using that mail server unless they are having problems with mail.btinternet.com, and then other servers should be used first - smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 43

@ajwh wrote:

OK!!!

From a hint on a Yahoo forum where this problem is also happening, the issue seems to be HTML vs text coding.

If I take a message which fails on forwarding, and force the reply into plain text by holding down the shift key as I select forward, the message goes succesfully.

I still don't know if it's a TB issue or a Yahoo issue....

Hi.

The error is actually a weird one. It seems to be just to do with the formatting, and can affect other mail clients not just TB. It seems to be some form of system check, possibly as a result of past history with malformed emails by spammers.

0 Ratings
Stentifw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 43

I have been using smtp.btopenworld.com until now.  I changed to smtp.mail.yahoo.com and got the same result.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 43

@Stentifw wrote:

I have been using smtp.btopenworld.com until now.  I changed to smtp.mail.yahoo.com and got the same result.

Hi.

smtp.btopenworld.com is actually the same as :-

mail.btinternet.com

mail.btopenworld.com

smtp.btinternet.com

pop.btinternet.com

pop.btopenworld.com

post.btinternet.com

post.btopenworld.com

and a lot of others. There is no difference as they all point at the same IP address and hence mail server farm. Hence stick with mail.btinternet.com which is the "official" name.

@Other mail servers such as smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk (and .com) can be used, but the full @btinternet.com (or @btopenworld.com) needs to be added. In fact sometimes changing this but can make the email system "work".

The password error on sending nearly always used to be a fleeting problem, sometimes lasting a few days, and seemed to affect a very tiny amount of people. However it seems that more and more are suffering from this server problem

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Stentifw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 43

People have discovered that switching off HTML in Tools, Account Settings, Composition & Addressing allows the emails to be sent, but of course without any links which is a pain for everybody.  This proves that Yahoo have changed somthing today.

Please let us know when Yahoo fix this.

0 Ratings
HopHead
Contributor
Message 19 of 43

I'm getting the same thing using Thunderbird, which has otherwise been working fine since I set it up last week:

"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  Transaction failed : Cannot send message due to possible abuse; please visit http://postmaster.yahoo.com/abuse_smtp.html for more information. Please check the message and try again."

The BTYahoo webmail works ok.

0 Ratings
HopHead
Contributor
Message 20 of 43

Update: just changed the email I was trying to send to plain text as advised, and it worked. Also sent the links that were in it too! Odd.
0 Ratings