cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
harrybeadlebaum
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Error message when trying to retrieving emails.

Go to solution

Hi,

For some time now, maybe a couple of months, every time I go to download email from my btinternet address I get the following error message:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Btinternet (xxxxxxxxxx) account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR inactivity timeout
Server: 'mail.btinternet.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800420CD
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

I am receiving my email, but usually end up with multiple copies. My email setup hasn't changed since I started using this laptop 18 months ago so I'm puzzled as to what is causing the problem.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Error message when trying to retrieving emails.

Go to solution

You probably have a large attachment sitting in your inbox which is too big to be downloaded without timing out.

Log into webmail and you should be able to identify and delete the mail with the attachment on it.

0 Ratings
harrybeadlebaum
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Sorry Keith that isn't the problem. I've just logged in to BT/Yahoo and my inbox is empty.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Is BT Internet still your ISP?

0 Ratings
harrybeadlebaum
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Yes I'm still with BT.

My Btinternet address has always behaved differently to my other email addresses. For example, I know that I can't use it with Mailwasher. If I do, again, I would end up getting multiple emails because of email staying permanantly on the server and not being downloaded properly. But this was all sorted out when I first joined BT and has nothing to do with the current problem.

The only thing I can think of is that the problem is now being caused by Norton Internet Security when is scans incoming emails. I've fiddled with the settings and time will tell if it sorts the problem.

Thanks for your reply Keith.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks, I was just checking because some people still use their btinternet e-mail account when the move ISP, but they lose the POP3 access facility.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@harrybeadlebaum wrote:

Yes I'm still with BT.

My Btinternet address has always behaved differently to my other email addresses. For example, I know that I can't use it with Mailwasher. If I do, again, I would end up getting multiple emails because of email staying permanantly on the server and not being downloaded properly. But this was all sorted out when I first joined BT and has nothing to do with the current problem.

The only thing I can think of is that the problem is now being caused by Norton Internet Security when is scans incoming emails. I've fiddled with the settings and time will tell if it sorts the problem.

Thanks for your reply Keith.

Hi.

Indeed turn off email scanning, including for sending emails. There is no real need to have that facility, and it can cause the issues you are seeing.

The reason for multiple emails, is due to the timeout when trying to receive them. The task doesn't finish completely at the fetch "stage", so the end signal is not sent back to the server - so it thniks that  the emails have not actually been received - hence it will send them again.

As for Mailwasher - I use it wothout problem, so it sounds like NIS is causing an issue here too.

harrybeadlebaum
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Andy,

It's been a while...

Regarding the Mailwasher issue, at that time I was using Zonealarm for security.

Regarding Norton, I'll turn off email scanning as you suggest and let you know how it goes, as the problem is still present.

This appears to be one of several problems are apparently being caused by Norton Security. I've already had to turn off the "Idle Time Optimizer" as that seems to be the root cause of at least one other issue I've experienced lately. And I thought Zonealarm was bad!

0 Ratings
Badgerboy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

I have been getting the same error message for about a week now, also some emails arrive several times (5 the most up to now).

Hope BT soon sort it out!

0 Ratings
harrybeadlebaum
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

Well I have some good news.

Having followed Andy's advice, I decided to go back and have another go at using Mailwasher with my Btinternet address, initially without the email scanner turned on. I'm pleased to report that everything worked ok, and I can now use it with my Btinternet address. It looks as if the multi message problem I experienced 18 months ago must have been caused by Zonealarm, my previous security package.

I think the latest problem went something like this. I checked the three email accounts that were being policed by Mailwasher and then delt with any spam. I then clicked "Process Mail" and this activated Windows Live Mail, which then started to download email from all my accounts, the first one being my Btinternet account which downloaded any email and then gave the timeout error message.

I've now turned email scanning back on and everything is still working ok, and the timeout problem I experienced when downloading email using Windows Live Mail has now gone too. So the only thing I can think of is it must have been the fact that I wasn't using Mailwasher with my Btinternet address that was causing the timeout problem.

Anyway, thanks for your help Andy and I hope my experience will help others.

Harry.