Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
da51her
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Estimated Infinity Speeds - How Low?

Hi
I was looking at moving to BT Infinity (ideally 2) until I saw the estimated speeds my exchange (Garston- 0.8 mile away) can offer me.

Up to....
25Mb d/l

5Mb u/l

This is way below the minimum Infinity package and not really that much of an increase to the 10Mb broadband I am already getting. Note these are 'up to' speeds also, so I have no idea what I will really get.

The upload speed is my real concern as I hoped this would help with work stuff when copying files to servers etc.

Does this suggest that this exchange has not been fully upgraded yet or this is a common thing for some exchanges to have fibre available so they meet the quota 'you can have it, but....'?

Am I better to just sit it out and see if this improves or is this highly unlikely?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
dazzarfc12
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Estimated Infinity Speeds - How Low?

With infinity its all about how close to your cabinet you are as soon as you go over 0.4miles the speeds rapidly drop i am on the 0.4 mile mark and i get 60 meg
0 Ratings
da51her
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

I thought the idea of fibre was that distances did not matter?

You are right though, I thought this was an exchange limitation.

Just plugged in the details of a plumbing shop a little further down the road and closer to the exchange the speeds triples!!

0 Ratings
dazzarfc12
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

yeah its pritty crazy its good for me because my exchange is 2.5 miles away and i got like 3 meg so fibire is great for me can u give  me some rep please click the pink box with star next to me name thanks

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 5 of 5

@da51her wrote:

I thought the idea of fibre was that distances did not matter?

You are right though, I thought this was an exchange limitation.

Just plugged in the details of a plumbing shop a little further down the road and closer to the exchange the speeds triples!!

Distance does not matter with FTTP (Fibre To The Premisis). With FTTC however distance from the cabinet does.

As you can see from the graph below speed takes a dive after 0.4Km.

Chart-FTTC-speed-against-distance.png

0 Ratings