Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Ethernet Self-Assigned IP Home Hub 3 and iMac 10.6.8

Go to solution

Set up is iMac connected via HomePlug to BT Home Hub 3 (Infinity) using ethernet.  Has been working without issues since June 2011.  Then go away for a week, turned everything off, came back, turned everything on, and all worked well.  Then the following morning, this moring, the ethernet no longer connecting - self assigns an IP address (169.254.XX.XXX with Subnest Mask 255.255.0.0).  

I have turned everything off, then on again, no access;

set up a static IP but no internet access;

have reset the hub but still no change; 

I can get access via wireless connection, but the speed is not as fast as ethernet;

Have turned off DHCP, no connection

Turned on DHCP, no connection.

It looks like the Mac is asking for an assigned IP from the Hub, but gets no response, so assigns one itself.

I have other devices connected via ethernet to the Hub, phone and digi box, and they are connected without a problem.

Can any one please advise.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: Ethernet Self-Assigned IP Home Hub 3 and iMac 10.6.8

Go to solution

By swapping my HomePlug to another that works, my network issues were resolved.  Looks like my HomePlug died.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I have the exact same problem - but I dont have a 'Homeplug'  (what's a homeplug?).

I lost complete connection a while ago - and BT engineers said it was the HomeHub3, replaced it and all was well.

A few months later - same thing happened, and I lost connection, BT simply sent a new homehub3 - installed, and problem solved. 

Now it gives me wifi - all good - but wont assign an ip to my mac or my timecapsule...

Something tells me BTHomeHub may not be a very good bit of kit... but then Im not expert.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Hi try a factory reset of your hub that should solve the problem
A home plug is a device for networking over the household Mains supply used for Bt vision and many networks as it saves running cables and more reliable then wireless
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Hi John46

I tried a factory reset, but this did not work. In fact I have done all the suggested solutions but they dont seem to do anything. Wifi works perfectly, but ethernet is just not working.

Just some background info on my set up:

BT Wall Socket > BT Modem +BT Home Hub 3 > Ethernet cable to Apple Time Capsule (TC) > (TC) Ethernet to Apple TV >(TC) Ethernet to iMac. 

I have tested all the cables, and I can see data being sent over the ethernet cables, and all is good there, but no internet. 

No matter what I do, the home hub refuses to give my Apple devices IP address.

Is it possible to replace Home hub 3 with something else and still get my BT infinity working well??

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
there are other routers you would be best advised to post on the infinity board for suggestions of suitable routers