cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Ethernet over 100m to mobile home

My daughter is living in our field! Our house is solid stone and 30m long. Her home is another 100m further on. I understand that cat5 has a maximum 100m reach. So my question is does the 100m count from the master socket at the begininng of our house (total 130m), or the last modem/router at the end of our house nearest her which is connected by ethernet to the master socket? I dont understand why cat5 can only be 100m long when our copper broadband line used to be 5 kilometres! We now have fibre, no line of site, and not on the same electric supply circuit.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Ethernet over 100m to mobile home

The speed drops off after 100m. It will still work only slower. It is from the router.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 20

The Ethernet limit counts from the Ethernet port on the home hub, to the remote Ethernet port at the far end.

Ethernet is a totally different technology than broadband, which is designed to work over larger distances.

Ethernet relies on link timing pulses which get distorted over long distances, and the home hub Ethernet port would struggle to operate before the 100m limit is reached.

One solution is to add an Ethernet switch halfway along the route to regenerate the signal and timing, however this would need to be powered.

Another Ethernet switch at the far end would also be advisable, as some devices may not work properly if the signal is distorted. The speed may also drop from 100mb to 10mb.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Fabulous response, thanks for the details. Our set up is Master Socket, BT hub to Apple Airport Extreme all in the same place.

Then using ethernet to an Apple Airport and again onto another one. It would be from this last one that I'd take the 100m ethernet. As all these are powered, do I need a switch?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

It going to depend on whether the Apple Airport Ethernet port specification is good enough to cope with a long Ethernet cable.

If not, then you may have to introduce a Ethernet switch part the way along the route, to regenerate the signal.

My guess is that it will probably work, but will only connect at 10mb/s and not 100mb/s. That would be fine for the Internet, but would make any network file transfers very slow.

Network errors may also slow down the throughput.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 20

I'd make sure that I'd use solid copper (as opposed to CCA) cat6 cable just to ensure the best possible signal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 20

Would it not be possible to have a line installed from BT under the universal service obligation? It sounds like from the OP's post that there is already mains power at the mobile home

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

There is no such obligation for broadband. It only applies to having phone line put in and only to a permanent residence not a caravan. In any event the OP is only extending his broadband with Ethernet cable as anybody could do in their house such as from one room to another. He is not having another broadband line installed

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 20

@gg30340 wrote:

There is no such obligation for broadband. It only applies to having phone line put in and only to a permanent residence not a caravan. In any event the OP is only extending his broadband with Ethernet cable as anybody could do in their house such as from one room to another. He is not having another broadband line installed

Having a phone line installed would be a first step to getting broadband and as mains electricity has already been installed it's then deemed as being permanent, hense why the OP said "Living" and not staying in the field.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

I think you have missed the point. The OP does not want a phone line or broadband installed in the caravan. He wants his daughter to be able to use his broadband connection by running Ethernet to the caravan.

Living or staying, what is the difference. They both mean the same, the only difference is which word you choose to use.

Having electricity does not deem it as being permanent. The electricity is probably an extension from the OP's supply. I, like many people have electricity in my garden shed but it is not classed as permanent. Does it have a recognised postal address, does she pay council tax on it etc etc.

The OP could undoubtedly get a telephone line put in, at a cost, but it I doubt it would be done under the Universal Obligation.

See link and last paragraph about permanent home and postal address.

http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/connection-reasonable-request

0 Ratings