cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Evening and weekends fault, how do I tell openreach?

Go to solution

So I'm starting to tear my hair out over this.  At peak times my speed drops from 30Mbps down to nearer 3Mbps, and I know to expect some speed drop but there's clearly something going wrong.  I've repeatedly run the BT troubleshooter and reported the fault, but it always just says fault resolved after a few days, even though nothing changes.  I can only assume they are simply checking during the day and finding nothing wrong.

I've spoken on BT chat support and they ran a line test and said they would send an engineer.  I tried to tell them that it only happens in the evening so there's no point sending an engineer during the day.  And that we've already had an engineer out, who improved the normal speed by fitting a new master socket, but obviously could find nothing wrong because the fault only manifests in the evening.  I tried to ask her if she could get a message through, or if I could contact openreach to say that this is only an issue at peak times, but she said all she could do was book an engineer.

So here I am now wondering what on earth to do.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

BT test 3 again.png

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Message 2 of 13

Re: Evening and weekends fault, how do I tell openreach?

Go to solution

Hi @oldunclesilas and thanks for posting.

A slow evening and weekend connection points to congestion issues at the exchange. When you run the speed test do you also include the further diagnostics? That writes back to wholesale so they should be aware of the problem. I can check if there's anything we can do to help. Can you please drop me over an email with the details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile. Due to the holiday period it may take longer than expected to reply but once you submit the details we'll get to you in turn.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

deleted, as moderator dealing.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Hi David, thanks for the quick response.  It's good to know that it gets back to them.  Does it need to be the test where you have to change your username? I've only done that a couple of times because it takes awhile and usually comes up with an error message about the session timing out.  But I'll do it some more if needs be.  I've noticed the speed starting to drop during the day now as we approach christmas I suppose more people are off work.

What sort of details should I include in the email?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Not that test, just do the normal BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/, then click on the "Further Diagnotics" button at the botom. That will provide the extra info needed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Hi @oldunclesilas,

I gave your mobile number a quick call. I'm sorry I didn't get speaking to you.

I've run a few checks on your line, there is a capacity issue at your exchange. BT Wholesale have a forecasted fix date of the 6th of January. 

Would you be able to run another speed test this evening and tomorrow? I do need an up to date speed test to see how the line is preforming at the moment. Once you have run those tests, post back and I'll chase this with wholesale.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution
Congestion issues are not openreach faults.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution
Hi, @PaddyB
Thanks for following up. Do you need the Tap3 test or is the second test enough?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution
As already posted you do not need test 3 just the further diagnostic one and that test needs running when your speed is low as it is then stored on BT Wholesales server
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Hi @oldunclesilas,

Just a quick update on your case. I've been chasing this with BT Wholesale today and they have confirmed that there is a capacity issue at your exchange. They have advised me that the new forecasted fix date is for the 13th of January. 

I'm sorry for the delay in getting your connection back up to speed.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings