cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kickboxerdan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Evening speeds dropping to unusable levels.

I am on Broadband Option 3, not excessively downloaded and outside of the first 10 day period and yet am still having serious problems with speeds in the evening. I understand that speeds would drop a little during peak hours, but mine is falling as follows:

Daytime speeds: 6000-8000 kb/s

Evening speeds: 200-700kb/s  usually, occasionally up to 2000-3000kb/s for small periods then falls out again.

This means that during the evening period it sometimes works for 10-20 minutes, but most of the time Iplayer constantly fails at buffering, websites load slowly, and sometimes page cannot be displayed messages,

This is unacceptable for the top broadband package as we can hardly surf the web let alone watch Iplayer etc. 

Considering the package is described as for downloading music, watching videos etc. and we cannot do this during the only times we actually have the chance due to work, it is not on.

I've searched for hours for answers or solutions but am at an end. I hope someone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated!!

I think these are the infos needed below, as well as the speeds above, if anymore is needed I will gladly post it. 

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 02:02:42
Downstream:7.938 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):11.1 dB / 26.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):16.4 dB / 7.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.9 dBm / 12.2 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):5017 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):4 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):197 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):3 / 0

(I have just found out that restarting the homehub can cause problems, but it had dropped completely. I will leave it on for the next few days and see if it evens out.)

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
chainsawdude
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Evening speeds dropping to unusable levels.

I have the same problem, i think BT are just throttling everyone after a certain time or a certain amount of users log on, its totally unusable for me too when im gaming all i get is lag and disconnects from my game because of this **bleep** poor service, if BT dont pull the finger out then they wont be getting payed, ill cancel my direct debit and they can kiss my ass for money.

Untitled.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

@kickboxerdan

how are you connected to the hub - wireless or cable?

can you run btspeedtester and post the results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
IceZaroth
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

First off, Hi and welcome to the BT Community Forums, It's refreshing to see someone answering there own problem before we even post :), Now your line stats show me that you live close to your exchange and that your line is fine, The major problem with broadband in general is that turning off the homehub/router's does indeed impact your download speed that is to say you connect at high of 7000+ Kbps but your download speed we call Actual Speed drops off as the exchange automatically tries to counter act any errors you've had on the line these do include the USER hard resettings the HomeHub/Router or simply killing the power as in turning it off, over a period of time it will impact your speed more and more, This is also evident as your download SNR Margin is showing as 11.1 db.

Below is the simple Steps to follow to get your connection/speed back on track...

1. If possible leave your HomeHub/Router switched on for the next 10 Days, I know this can seem a little harsh but the service is ment to be a always on connection.

2. Take a Copy of this URL for this page and goto the following link ... http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 and provide BT with your details & paste the URL into the message area also so they can see whats going on, The Board Mod Team are very good and will get back to you within 48 Hours of sending in the Info needed.

3. What will happen is the mods will request your Profile to be either reset or to have your SNR Reset, this coupled with your now always on connection will then sort itself out.

P.s Judging by the stats of your line I'd expect your Actual speed to climb to around 6+ mbps.

Kindest regards

IceZaroth

BT Community Helper

0 Ratings
kickboxerdan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Thanks for the quick replies! 

I will post the result from BT speedtester just done, it is usually fast during the day but is actually not doing well today:

Test results day.jpg

And I will post the evening speed later on today.

@IceZaroth:   Many thanks for the helpful explanation. I am a little unclear on the stats shown such as noise margin etc. but that made it clearer. I will leave the homehub on now even if it drops off and see if it helps.

Thanks again!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

from the btspeedtester your hub must have reset since last night as your speed is max for adslmax connection.  has your noise margin changed?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
kickboxerdan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

According to the Homehub page, the noise margin is actually 11.2 now (was 11.1)

I'm not too sure on what that means but already the speed is dropping and becoming unstable. Just ran a second speed test on BT tester as follows:

Test results afternoon.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

It's your throughput/download speed that is dropping as the peak time starts.  have you checked your exchange for problems  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

looks like a congestion problem

try the mods and see if they can help  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

0 Ratings
kickboxerdan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Thanks very much for the quick help, much appreciated! Smiley Happy 

I'll try seeing if the mods can help, fingers crossed.

0 Ratings
duncansby
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

If switching your router on and off is so bad for line speeds, why was I advised to do this when I phoned BT to say that I am having the exact same evening speed problems as the OP.  I queried him and said that I believed it was best to leave it on all the time

Surely BT should have some consistent apporach to this

0 Ratings