cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigvern99
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Ever worsening Infinity Speed from Exchange to Modem

I had BT Infinity installed in the summer, in June and did regular speed tests which were getting me approx 15 - 16 MBPS DL and 2.5 MBPS uplioad, from the exchange to the modem

5 months later, I now get 7 MBPS DL and about 1 MBPS Upload

Thh BT speed check say I could get between 20 and 26 MPS - ive never believed that, and was happy with the 15-16 I was getting, but being down at 7 is pathetic.

Nothing has changed. Anyone any idea why?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Ever worsening Infinity Speed from Exchange to Modem

You have possibly had  fault on your line since day one if you have never attained the speeds you should have and the fault is possibly getting worse as time goes on.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

0 Ratings
bigvern99
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER.PNG

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test.PNG

Further info.PNG

Home Hub.PNG

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Your max data rate is showing 16Mbps and your data rate is 7.8Mbps. Your noise margin is way off the optimum of 6 which would tend to indicate a fault on your line.

Carry out a quite line test by calling 17070 option 2. There shoud be no noise on the line. If there is you should call BT and report a telephone fault. Do not mention broadband or they will go down that route. Once the phone fault is fixed your speeds should improve.

If there is no line noise you need to report a broadband fault. Inform them that your speeds are well below your estimated speeds which should be between 11.3Mbps and 27.4Mbps depending on which range your line is.  

0 Ratings
bigvern99
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

Well, i spent a mere 75 mins using chat last night with the first line engineer - he asked for exactly the stuff i posted on here, exactly the same - and its ended up with an engineer booked to come out in 2 weeks and the threat of £119 call out charge if its my fault (which im very very confident its not)

Not impressed with the customer service but then again what did i expect.

Im fully expecting this not to get sorted out ever - pessimistic or realistic?

0 Ratings
bigvern99
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

Ok - so an update to this:

i just received a call from BT, who told me that regarding my issue they have identified a fault in the exchange which is being worked on, and my normal service would be restored by 8 PM tomorrow. It wont require an engineer to visit my home (as expected).

When I then pushed her for info on what the fault was, she said there was some planned work going on in the exchange and it was affecting lots of other people as well. Im annoyed I didnt ask more questions abot precisely what she meant by "exchange" in the context she said it.

So clearly, she is just reading some generic notes from a helpdesk system and wouldnt be in possession of any particular info to my fault. I asked what would happen if the service wasnt restored by 8 PM, she just said it would be.

So, i wonder whether there is some deliberate work being done by BT to manage demand / capacity, and the speed was being kept lower than it could be during this planned work on purpose.

Either way im intrigued to see what happens tomorrow at 8PM. Im:

30 % expecting it to be fixed

50% expecting no change

20% expecting it to be worse

Bearing in mind they referred to planned work, I'll wait to see what happens then phone BT asking for a partial refund of the broadband part of my bill. Might get £5 i suppose!

0 Ratings
bigvern99
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

Capture3.JPG

0 Ratings
bigvern99
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

So, as expected, the info I was given on the phone by person from BT that called me was incorrect.

The service wasnt fixed remotely by them and despite their assurances the broadband speed is still 7MB down / 0.74MB fault upload.

The speed check shows i should get 19 / 4, but my date rate is 8 / 0.76 (or similar)

And of course they cancelled my engineer visit, onthe incorrect assumption they had fixed it, so i will now have to reschedule that and book another day off work.

Its catartic writing this down, even if im sure a little oring for everyone, however I wil use everything in this thread as memory jogs for my complaint at the end.

WHY WHY WHY is it so hard to get what you pay for?!?!?!

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

The moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 10 of 16

Hi bigvern99,

I'm really sorry this is taking so much effort on your behalf to get sorted and we'll be happy to help if you use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details. 

You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings