cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

Exasperated BT Broadband Customer with no sign of resolution to broadband speed issues

Unfortunately this is another example of someone stuck in the bt broadband support loop with an issue relating to download speed...

I have been a very satisfied BT broadband customer for over 5 years until just over a month ago when my broadband connection became unusable dropping from a reliable 2 -2.5mbps to 0.12mbps!!. I live in a fairly rural location so my speed expectations are low, anything around 2mbps is adequate, it's something I've monitored sporadically over the years. I raised the issue with the broadband support team and I 've been stuck in a frustrating loop ever since, the highlights being:

- a bt engineer visiting the house who simply checked the line and made a call to bt wholesale to reset something, a momentary peak in performance and then back to 0.12mbps within hours

- a new bt hub, no difference made

- various line tests, with the most recent one identifying a line fault which was 'fixed' then a day at 0.69mbps before reverting to 0.12mbps

- each episode results in following a number of repetitive investigation tasks and concluding in a wait of 48 hours each time when things are meant to settle. Despite being assured things will improve, nothing changes and it remains at 0.12mbps and sometimes drops altogether. We have endured at least a dozen long calls with bt's broadband offshore call centre. This post is my last option before looking at alternative providers.

How can this loop be broken? Is their an escalation path or do you have to move to a different provider? Please help!!!

As per other advice in the forums please see below the results of a speed test and the hub settings:

Download 0.12mbps, upload 0.22mbps, ping 80ms the further diagnostics feature on the wholesale test just returns an error.

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068340+NQ42555122
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.17 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: BT Hub 4A
5. ADSL uptime: 0 days, 01:07:32
6. Bandwidth: 448 / 160
7. Data sent/received: 0.4 MB / 2.0 MB
8. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
9. BT FON: No
10. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub4-GWJG
11. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (Recommended)) 20 MHz, WPS enabled
12. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA and WPA2
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic / 11
14. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub4-GWJG
15. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 n 40 MHz (Recommended)) 20/40 MHz, WPS enabled
16. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
17. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic / 48
18. Firewall: Default
19. MAC Address: c8:91:f9:13:40:e0
20. VPI/VCI: 0 / 38
21. Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
22. Latency type: Interleaved
23. Software variant: -
24. Boot loader: -

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Exasperated BT Broadband Customer with no sign of resolution to broadband speed issues

Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 22

Re: Exasperated BT Broadband Customer with no sign of resolution to broadband speed issues

Thanks, please see below as requested:

11:12:30, 09 Aug. (90352.770000) DSL noise margin: 12.00 dB upstream, 9.30 dB downstream
11:12:30, 09 Aug. (90352.620000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 160 Kbps downstream
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

can you enter your phone number and post the results  remember to delete number 

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 22

See below:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line does not have left in jumpers.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Thank you for your interest.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

your conenction reset this mrning was that a manual reset or router dropping connection?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

are you currently using the test socket with a new filter of do you have an SSFP socket?  do you have extension sockets in other rooms?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 22

The router reset must have been the router dropping connection

Just tried the line test with a corded phone, all quiet.

Yes, I'm using the test socket (face plate removed) with a filter. I've not got an ssfp socket.

Thanks for your help
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

you have a higher than normal noise margin caused by disconnections providing you can maintain 3+ days stable connection the forum mod can be asked to reset your noise margin which will increase your speed
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 9 of 22

Thanks. What happens if I can't maintain a stable connection for 3+ days?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

then you are going to need further help to get a stable connection for now just try and maintain the stable connection
0 Ratings