cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ermintrude
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Exceeding usage?

We've only been connected to BT for a week and apparently we've exceeded our data allowance already. According to the monitor we are using 11gb a day?!! Really??? We've never even got close with other providers. Anyone got any ideas what on earth is going on?? We're out at work all day so there's not even anyone at home to be using it 😞
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Exceeding usage?

Have you upgraded to Windows 10

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

If you have "upgraded" to Windows 10 you need to switch of peer to peer updates. See this link.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-...

If you have not yet "upgraded" to Windows 10 check your Windows update history to see if you are downloading multiple failed updates. If you are post back for help in stopping that.

0 Ratings
Ermintrude
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 yet - my laptop does need a bit of TLC. But I checked and there haven't been any updates since 20th October.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Microsoft are forcing the download of Windows 10, whether you want it or not. If the download fails, it will keep trying again, and each attempt can be up to 3Gb in size.

0 Ratings
lioness
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I have the same problem.  Most days we use about 400-500 mb.  Today usage was 2.62 GB.  We did nothing differently.  We don't stream anything, don't watch videos.  Just emails and surfing.  We changed our wifi password last week just in case.  I cannot understand this enormous rise in usage.

We are on Windows 10 and I have turned off background apps, and also P2P stuff.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

@Ermintrude wrote:
We've only been connected to BT for a week and apparently we've exceeded our data allowance already. According to the monitor we are using 11gb a day?!! Really??? We've never even got close with other providers. Anyone got any ideas what on earth is going on?? We're out at work all day so there's not even anyone at home to be using it 😞

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

What service have you got ? Is it infinity, and maybe before it was "less" speed broadband ?

Are you watching catch-up tv, netflix - any of those sorts of things ? Downloaded any large games, e.g. from Steam ?

What devices have you got connected, and possible use ?

Can you give the up/down figures according to the online monitor ? It'll be up to the end of the previous day (it'll say), and it's from the beginning of the month - in your case from your service start date if later.

Make a daily note of the figures (as well as the end date it says - due to the way the system displays it).

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

@lioness wrote:

I have the same problem.  Most days we use about 400-500 mb.  Today usage was 2.62 GB.  We did nothing differently.  We don't stream anything, don't watch videos.  Just emails and surfing.  We changed our wifi password last week just in case.  I cannot understand this enormous rise in usage.

We are on Windows 10 and I have turned off background apps, and also P2P stuff.

Hi.

How are you checking the usage, is it via the online monitor ? Make a note of the up/down figures, as well as the date shown - as this is up to the end of the previous day, depending on when you check. Check daily.

When you say most days are 500MB, frankly 2.6GB isn't particularly a vast increase for the odd day. If that figure was every day, then it would be different.

The time of your posting indicates that the figure would be for yesterday if you keep a daily record. Is there anything that you may have done different/extra ?

0 Ratings