Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
User83
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Excessive broadband usage

Hi, 

I recently switched to BT Fibre broadband and there have been consistent problems with the data usage. We had previously used only ~10Gb/month with our previous provider, but with BT the usage has increased to 1-3 Gb/day with no change in our internet usage. One month I apparently used 25 Gb in 15 days and so had to turn off the router for the rest of the month to avoid incurring any more charges. I am aware that some applications increase the amount of data being transmitted if they detect a faster connection (such as Skype) and so for that reason I have switched to using the BTWiFi-with-FON network before using Skype. 

I have called and spoken to BT and they have been unable to help. The main device I am using on the network is a Macbook Pro and so I am using Activity Monitor to check the network usage. The only issue is that the sum of all the applications listed do not add up to anywhere near the total broadband usage. For instance, now there is 800Mb of network data itemised between applications (mainly Chrome and Safari Networking) and the total network usage shown at the bottom is 4.4Gb. 

I have been using BTWiFi-with-FON to download any software updates or to use Skype. The only activity for which I use the network is regular web-browsing and email. I am not using any file sharing software or streaming/downloading movies. I am really at a loss to understand what is happening. 

Is there an application that I can use to accurately track the broadband usage by application so I can determine the cause of the increased usage? Does anyone with experience of a similar issue know what could be the cause?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Excessive broadband usage

have you upgraded to windows 10 or are you still waiting?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

0 Ratings
User83
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

I am using OSX Yosemite as all the devices are Apple devices. 

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 5 of 5

User83 there's a little App called 'SurplusMeter' that will measure what your mac is using, but not other devices obviously. It will run on Yosemite OK. I can't vouch for any of the sites you'll get it from now as I've had it for a while but the app. itself is fine, and free.

0 Ratings