I have just had the same issue again with one of the phones on my contract
My wife has an S620 which during October, November and December has been running double the data usage of my HTC Hero.
It is used for emails only, and not that many.
Looking at the data usage on the bt.com website the times of the big downloads (3meg at 22.36hrs and again the following morning circa 0300 or 0400) seem to fit exactly with the timings of the last time that the AV was updated, 22.36hrs on the 8th January. I suspect that when the billing usage catches up with the 8th January it will show a download at exactly this time.
Check your AV program on the phone, make a note of the last time it updated, and check that time in your usage on bt.com.
I am going to change the AV update to manual (it previously was) and challenge the billing that we've been hit with in December. We live in a very poor mobile signal area, and I suspect that overnight the phone is getting a weak GPRS signal, and repeatedly trying and failing to update the AV, hence running up large data usage.
This problem occurred about 12-18months ago and seemed to be resolved, how come it has cropped up again? Has there been some sort of update which has triggered AV to automatic update again?
Solved! Go to Solution.
The general view for GPRS and all data usegage is that it should be manual. The 500mb allowance excepting.
I have had the same issue but not gone over the limit, just too close given that my wife only accesses emails and and on average less than one a day. AV was set to Never, didn't seem to work. Where are the instructions for removing it?
Thanks, just done it. Now on the phone to BT to get my bill sorted after it took me over the limit for the first time.
it may or may not be the AV, but I'm certain that email polling was playing a big part in the data issue.
I have always configured the email accounts on my phones as POP3, not sure why, I just have. Historically I think I had some issues with the IMAP servers in the default BT setup not always being available, but the POP3 servers (as part of the main BT mail setup) were more reliable. It was a conclusion I came to very early on with my phone, and I simply applied the same rationale in setting up my wife's and son's phones
When I compared the 2 s620's I had on the account, one eating a lot of data and one virtually none, the only difference was that the phone eating the data was on the default IMAP server setup.
I downloaded a GPRS monitor for the s620 from handango.com and did a trial where I tested the data downloaded during a send and receive with only one small text email waiting on the server.
Set up to the POP3 server the phone repeatedly used about 15KB of data to send/receive and download the test email.
I set the POP3 account to manual, and then created a default settings IMAP server account with the same download rules (HTML, 2KB, 10min polling). When I triggered a send receive on this account the GPRS monitor logged 220KB of data.
Now maybe this is a feature of the weak data signal where I live, and not representative of normal data usage, but it seems to me that the IMAP servers offer up more than 10x as much data to download in comparison to the POP3 servers.
YMMV, I suggest that anyone with a concern about the data usage on their accounts downloads a GPRS monitor and runs some tests on their email account setups.
I have spoken to BT and come to an arrangement about my bill.