Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NW1122
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Excessive uploads?

Hi all,

I was activated on Monday and have noticed that the "Smart Hub"? is reporting in the technical log, that I have uploaded enormous amounts od data, I'm talking 303,641 MB in a couple of days!! Nothing on my network could possibly cause that, and according to the router itself, they haven't. Never happened before and when ( if) BT get the other problems sorted out, I'll throw the "smart hub" in the bin and get a proper router. Any ideas what's up here?

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Excessive uploads?

Only thing I can think of at the moment is Windows 10 sharing Updates to other PCs.

If you are running on Win 10 then have a look here for how to stop it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the...

0 Ratings
NW1122
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Not Windows 10, in fact, no Windows at all. I've been a Linux user for many years. I'm not that sure these figures are even accurate. Seriously, 303GB uploaded in less than two days? That'll take up some serious bandwidth, my network would have ground to a halt.
As I said, I swapped over on the 7th and the router updated the firmware on the 8th, now SG4B1000B316. Could that have anything to do with it? can't see how but...

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Looks like something else on the hub that records inaccurately then.  Seems they initially had a firmware bug that showed Kbps instead of Mbps.  So most likely just another hub bug.

0 Ratings
NW1122
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Hmmm, 303641kb = 303.641mb Now that makes a lot more sense! Screen shot to show that upload is in MB. This is since a reset.     

upload.png

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

Indeed, the previous figures would equate to approximately 70MB per minute.  Which is not quite possible.  So must be a bug.

(over say 3 days)

0 Ratings
NW1122
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Yeah, I'l see how it goes, though this kind of thing makes me nervous. They'll either fix my connection as per the contract guarantee and I'll get a third party router, or they won't and I'll leave. I've never liked ISP supplied routers, they're always crippled in some way or another. Anyway, rant over. Thanks for your input.

0 Ratings