cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Exchange/Cabinet query

I currently live within the postcode YO61 4BB. Various d/l speed tests give us between 4 and 7Mbps, so when I checked http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ and saw that FTTC was coming to our village in Dec 2013 I got pretty excited. (it still says Coming Soon, but that isn't my issue)

My village, as far as I can tell, doesn't have a telephone cabinet. I live on the same street as the local phone exchange.

I've also just now read the following on the BT Customer help pages:

• If you live close enough to the exchange so that your line goes directly there rather than through a street cabinet then you won't be able to get BT Infinity.

So is anyone else in a similar situation? Will we or won't we get fibre-optic broadband in our village? I confess I don't know exactly how it works with exchanges and cabinets!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Exchange/Cabinet query

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive. If no cabinet is shown it will mean you are on an exchange line. 

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you are on a direct connection to the exchange you will not be able to get Infinity anytime soon. Openreach have said they will start to roll out new cabinets outside exchanges for such connections but as far as I know this is not a priority for them and has not started.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

For the life of me I cannot remember where I saw a mention of it, BUT they have certainly started putting Cabinets outside some exchanges. Your right Maybe not a priority but at least a start.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 6

So the fact there's no mention of a cabinet means I'm connected directly to the exchange and can't get fibre-optic? That's pretty rubbish - I had hoped that being close to the exchange would mean I would get better internet speeds! In what way though would putting a cabinet outside the exchange be better for my connection?

Telephone Number xxx on Exchange COXWOLD

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

ADSL MaxUp to 8--7 to 8Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

As far as I am aware they install a Fibre cabinet out side the exchange to allow your connection because they can't put the cabinets in the exchange as OFCOM currently will not allow VDSL equipment in the exchange.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

my line is a eo/line as well but as the  say here it will cost a lot with out the funding it may take a lot of money to upgread it

but as we have  the funding  here I may get my eo/line be updated this year

and all the Vaillge is eo/line to

0 Ratings