cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vinny2k
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Exchange Enabled but cant get bt infinity

Hi, I just had a quick question. I have been waiting for years for my exchange to be enabled for bt infinity. It finally has which I double checked on bt open reach broadband. I then checked the bt infinity checker and wholesale checker but still says I cant get it. In this case I thought maybe my caninet has not been enabled. When I called BT today I was told that the exchange has not been enabled?? I am on Kensal Green exchange.... Is there a delay between BT openreach saying accepting orders and when I can order?
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Exchange Enabled but cant get bt infinity

Just because the excange has been enabled doesn't mean you can order infinity.

New cabinets have to be installed near your existing one equipment and power installed to them and then comissioned. You could be months away yet.

0 Ratings
rooster1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

hi  my exchange has been enabled for bt infinity and so has cab 37 not more than 5 min walk from my house but bt telleing me i can not have it even tho people not for away from me have i have been told by one of the numerous engineers that have been to my property that it easy for them to put me on fibre but open reach will not let them

0 Ratings
farmergiles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

They're just plain useless. I've had no information from them about my cabinet despite neighbouring streets having no problem. They could earn a dam sight more each year in revenue by not worrying about boosting past 100MB a sec in a couple cities and just getting the rest of us set up on the basic ones.
0 Ratings
jimbo5
Message 5 of 16

I totally agree. BT are useless. Kensal Green Exchange has been enabled for almost a year but the cabinets have not been upgraded in most of the areas. I have phoned up BT on numerous occasions and they don't know when the cabinets will be upgraded for fibre. It looks like BT are quick to upgrade people nearby who have virgin fibre but they forget about the rest of us !

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 16

Hi jimbo5,

Openreach's Superfast Fibre broadband rollout plan is done in stages, so your cabinet may be added to the plan in the future. 

It is still early days, and the plans are always being added too.

There could be many reasons why your cabinet hasn't yet been upgraded with a new FTTC Cabinet. Some examples below:

• Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet - (Exchange Only Line [EO] )
• Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable FTTC broadband service such as BT Infinity service.
• Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
• We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.
• Your home may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
• Your landlord may not have agreed to the fibre infrastructure being provided in your building (for example if you live in a flat).

There isn't a adequate power supply

• Health and safety issues

• No ducting or inadequate ducting

plus lots more.

The build of the fibre broadband infrastructure in the area isn't always easy and can be very complex.

Unfortunately BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP who operates this forum) does not have much say as to when and if you will be able to get FTTC or FTTP/H based broadband such as BT Infinity.

Openreach's fibre broadband infrastructure is always expanding so your cabinet (pcp) may be upgraded with a FTTC Cabinet in the future.

In the mean time you can register your interest for Fibre Broadband such as BT Infinity by going to http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/expression-gen.aspx

You can keep checking the BT Wholesale Database and BT Infinity website for the most upto date information as these are updated regularly.

The openreach When and Where website is: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Hope that helps,

Cheers

**The Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs.
BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband.**

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
markowen
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ 

that website is totally useless for checking if you can get infinity, i used that site and it says you can get it and its now accepting orders and gives you a list of suppliers taking orders when you goto the bt infinity site it says its not available simply because my cabinet hasn't been upgraded the site is very misleading and fustrating ,i myself have been waiting ages for our exchange to be upgraded only to find my cabinet hasn't and doesn't look to be in any future upgrades infact i had a drive around our village and the only cabinets they seem to be doing are on the main street through the village and none of the housing estates themselves..i live on one of the biggest housing estates in our village and they havent been nowhere near..

Mark

0 Ratings
Highlighted
jimbo5
Message 8 of 16

Thanks for your reply jac_95. But unfortunately the links that you have provided are pretty useless. I have tried them before they just say that my exchange Kensal Green is enabled and accepting ordres. When I put my telephone number and postcode it says I can't get infinity because my cabinet 14 has not been enabled.

Why don't BT set up a website which gives us an indication of when a cabinet will be updated!

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 9 of 16

No problem jimbo5,

The BT Wholesale Database tells users what BT Wholesale broadband services are available to their address/landline number. This also includes an indication on whether WBC FTTC is available to them. If it is then they may see an estimated speed of what they may be able to achieve on WBC FTTC. (see example 1)

If the cabinet (pcp) is in the process of being upgraded or is going to be upgraded soon then an estimated activation date will appear next to WBC FTTC for the address/landline number. (see example 2)

If there is no mention of WBC FTTC for your line or address then it could be that your cabinet isn't currently in Openreach's Fibre broadband rollout plan.

The Openreach Superfast Fibre Broadband rollout is still in it's early stages and the plans are always being added too. 

So your cabinet may be upgraded in the future, though there is no public time scale on when that will be.

Example 1:

Available Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC FTTC Up to 68.7 Up to 20 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 4 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 2.5 Up to 0.5 1 to 4 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available

Example 2:

Available Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC FTTC Up to 62.5 Up to 20 -- 31-March-14
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 4 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 2.5 Up to 0.5 1 to 4 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available

The Openreach Fibre Broadband Rollout Map : http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ gives information on the exchanges saying whether a particular exchange is either Accepting Orders, Coming Soon, a Future Exchange or Not Currently on the Roll-out Plan for Fibre Broadband.

Also the http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ was updated last August to include some cabinet specific information such as delays in deploying FTTC cabinets.

So when you enter your POSTCODE into the map and a yellow Pin appears next to your address then there is a delay and will give some more information about the issue if you click the yellow pin.

As to revealing the whole plan, then I'm afraid only Openreach know this as it considered commercially sensitive and is always expanding.

**The Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs.
BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband.**

Hope that helps,

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
farmergiles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

I'm sorry but hold up, it's not still in its early stages. It's had buckets of time since the exchanges started getting enabled, in fact Portsmouth has been ready for years, it was one of the first few and yet my cabinet gets no mention whatsoever despite being in a city.

It's ridiculous that people I know in semi-rural areas are getting fibre optic so much easier and sooner yet in a city on a new build estate I'm stuck with snail speeds. Shape up BT, you're useless!

0 Ratings