cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
STX1300man
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Exchange Upgrade - Broadband Degraded

A few weeks ago I had an email from BT with the "Good News" that my exchange (Foxhall) was being "upgraded" and that this would give me better broadband.

Well the "upgrade" came and went, and we switched into the 10 day training period .....

Prior to the "upgrade" my broadband was rock solid, staying up for weeks and weeks. The only time I needed to reboot my Netgear router DG834Gv2 was when the network switch part caused it to lock up.

Since the upgrade I get disconnected every 2-3 days, with no pattern to the time. My stats are below and you can see I seem to have been pushed onto a 12db target noise margin, resulting in a slower sync speed than should be acheivable with those line loss figures.

ADSL Link               Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed      3456 kbps   915 kbps
Line Attenuation            46 db       14 db
Noise Margin                  12 db         6 db

The noise margin fluctuates between 11 and 13, but never outside that range.

The router is plugged into a BT supplied filter, which is plugged direct into the NTE5. No extensions, no additional wiring, no internal wiring to the NTE as the drop wire enters directly in the back of it.

So where do I go now? Yes, it is useable, but there's more performance in there, which would allow better use of BBC iPlayer etc.

Any thoughts / advice?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Exchange Upgrade - Broadband Degraded

have you tried the quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 should hear nothing and best done with a corded phone.  if cordless you may hear a dull hum which is normal

unfortunately the upgrade to 21CN which brings a potential speed increase also bring a more aggressive system if you have any nois on your line.  what was a good stable connection under adslmax need not necessarily be a good connection on 21CN

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
STX1300man
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Yes, I've tried the quiet line test and as far as I can tell it is quiet .... though obviously there must be some electronic noise to get put on 12db target SNR.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Hi If you post the full stats from your router
For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it
Click on More Details and then post the full results.

And post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

then someone may be able to help and offer more advice.
0 Ratings
STX1300man
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Errr ..... as I said in the first post my router is a Netgear DG834Gv2 not a HomeHub.

My loss and SNR figures are in the first post.

I can tel you from telnetting into the router that it is using ADSL2 not ADSL2+ as I'd expect given the line loss.

Only error counts I can see are Init Errors 4 and Errored Seconds 251

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

you could wait from a few weeks to a few months for your line to be upgraded as they are done in batches after the exchange upgrade is completed you can get the upgrade earlier by phoning bt sales and renegotiating your contract your line certainly has not yet been upgraded because with your attenuation i would expect approx 6.8mb download
0 Ratings
STX1300man
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Where can I find out whether my A/C allows ADSL2+ ?

I'm fairly sure it does, otherwise why would I be getting the extra upload speed over ADSLmax?

Surely the reason I'm connected as ADSL2 is because the negotiation between the DSLAM and and my router determines that ADSL2+ would be of no benefit?

Therefore back to my original question ... How can I find out what is causing any line noise given that I have NO internal wiring before the NTE and only a filter and router cable after it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

the dg834g V2 is quite an old router is your firmware up to date?

you are normally on adsl2 when the exchange equipment sees your line as not good enough for adsl2+ - probably because of noise - at least that was my experiece.  I then made improvements/changes and now have adsl2+

if you have adsl2 then you can get adsl2+

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
STX1300man
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

@imjolly wrote:

the dg834g V2 is quite an old router is your firmware up to date?

Yep, latest firmware Version 3.01.38UK

@imjolly wrote:

you are normally on adsl2 when the exchange equipment sees your line as not good enough for adsl2+ - probably because of noise - at least that was my experiece.  I then made improvements/changes and now have adsl2+

if you have adsl2 then you can get adsl2+

So again, what improvements can I make?

0 Ratings
Roger65
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

I had the same problem after an upgrade. After well over six months got done graded problems disappeared.

Cause of problem part of my line i.e. house to cabinet approx 40to 500 metres is aluminimum. No good for ADSL 2

0 Ratings