Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spoggy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Exchange upgrade to ADSL max

Go to solution

The first thing that greets you when entering these forums is the following and it's not entirely the whole story.

Welcome to the ADSL broadband board!
ADSL broadband is delivered over copper wires and BT currently offer two variants, ADSL Max which offers speeds of up to 8MB, and ADSL 2 which offers speeds up to 20MB.

I've been around to help someone set up a brand new PC who's connected to the following exchange :

West Sandwick ( Sam knows link ) https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NSWSW

This exchange hasn't reached the dizzy heights of ADSL max status yet and i'm wondering if it ever will ?

The guy i've been helping bought a new PC because he believed his old one was faulty because ( as he perceived ) it was running too slow. Windows 10 on his new PC requires a 4GB update to get going and these sorts of download sizes are getting more and more the norm these days, leaving customers on these exchanges without any useful Internet access.

The current situation is bad, but that's okay as long as there is a light at the end of the tunnel, can anyone please shed any light on when ( and even if ) these exchanges will ever be upgraded ?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Exchange upgrade to ADSL max

Go to solution
The upgrade of exchanges is nothing to do with BT Consumer that comes under the control of Openreach and BT Wholesale no one here would be able to help you I am afraid as both Openreach and BT Wholesale are not customer facing they will not help you either new technologies are being developed and may be available from your exchange if financially viable in the future no dates though
0 Ratings
Spoggy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thank you for the info.

Wonder if BT ( Consumer ) would consider pricing based on the service that is provided ( as there really isn't a choice here ), maybe if that was the case, pressure would be applied down the line.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

If other ISPs started charging based on service provided as you suggest then BT Retail would probably follow - but I dont see that happening anytime soon

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution
It costs just as much to provide a 1Mbps commotion as it does a 20Mbps one infact sometimes it costs more to provide lower speeds due the costs of maintaining old exchange equipment and the size of the exchange you refer to with 55 customers is not viable to upgrade
0 Ratings
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
I can't say for sure but have heard from Colleagues that BT have stopped bothering to upgrade anymore Exchanges to ADSL2+ as they're focusng on FTTC/G.Gast/FTTP.

BT want rid of all Exchanges in the near future and to move people onto VOiP or FVA if they have FTTP.
0 Ratings
Spoggy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Thank you everyone for the info, it's really helping understand more.

It's not even close to 1Mbps to be honest, that would be like light speed compared to the current situation. I think ( stand corrected ) the exchange limit is about 256 kbps at most, not a great deal faster than the old dial-up.

It does seem like these exchanges (84 in the UK) with fewer customers have been abandoned and have missed a few upgrade steps and will continue to miss them indefinitely.

Does anyone know the cost ( and process ) of upgrading an exchange from ADSL to ASDL max ?

The sad part is that the people who are connected to these exchanges never had a say in the layout design in the first place. The exchange in question is less than 8km from an ADSL max exchange.

0 Ratings
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
My Exchange serves at least 3000+ homes and businesses but was never upgraded to ADSL2+.

Then again it was one of the first Exchanges to get FTTC, all the existing PCP's now have a DSLAM connected, in some cases 2 and also I've noticed at least 3 dual Copper/Fibre cabs pop up in the past year.

As I said though I know for a fact a BT want rid of the Exchanges, they'll keep about 1000 give or take, the ones with all the Head Ends in that connect the Fibre Cabs but the small Exchanges will be gone.
0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

My understanding (reading various news articles) is that for those in Scotland, BT Wholesale is planning to upgrade the exchanges that aren't on the 21cn network yet (i.e on ADSLMax or below). Though when is another matter.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7634-is-scotland-on-track-to-reach-95-superfast-by-end-of-2017.ht...

Have you also tried contacting HIE and Digital Scotland?

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@TelephoneBob wrote:
My Exchange serves at least 3000+ homes and businesses but was never upgraded to ADSL2+.

Then again it was one of the first Exchanges to get FTTC, all the existing PCP's now have a DSLAM connected, in some cases 2 and also I've noticed at least 3 dual Copper/Fibre cabs pop up in the past year.

As I said though I know for a fact a BT want rid of the Exchanges, they'll keep about 1000 give or take, the ones with all the Head Ends in that connect the Fibre Cabs but the small Exchanges will be gone.

Why do you keep talking about ADSL2+, the OP is talking about ADSL max as opposed to fixed rate ADSL.

0 Ratings