Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monkeybill
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Exchange upgraded to 21CN but I am still getting old speeds

Hi

My exchange has been upgraded to 21CN and I was told if I committed to a new contract with BT (I was out of contract) I would benefit from faster speeds.  I did so but still no faster speeds one month on.  I friend who lives close to me did the same and in the end he has had to post on this forum where a mod has placed and order and brilliantly he is now benefiting from 21CN and much faster speeds.

Can anyone help me out, I literally live closer to the same exchange and did expect this would be automatic but seems not.

Many thanks.

MB

PS.  By the way thanks for any help you can give, I had a previous issue over a year ago and these forums were brilliant in helping me out.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Exchange upgraded to 21CN but I am still getting old speeds

0 Ratings
monkeybill
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Hi and thanks for posting, how would I check this if I do not use the BT Home Hub?

Thanks again.

MB

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

@monkeybill wrote:

Hi and thanks for posting, how would I check this if I do not use the BT Home Hub?

Thanks again.

MB

You would have to see if your router shows the modulation method, and use the notes at the top of my webpage to determine what type of connection you have. You are probably still on G992.1.

0 Ratings
monkeybill
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Thats great i will check and come back to you when home...

0 Ratings
monkeybill
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Hi Keith_Beddoe

My router/modem (Netgear DG834) does not tell me but it is set to Auto mode for DSL mode (I can set it to ADSL2 but when I triued this it made no difference).

As my friend is getting ADSL2 now after a mod picked up the post on these forums and placed an order.  He is running off the same exchange (albeit I doubt same line).

I guess I need to get hold of a BT router to answer your question properly or is it a case that a mod will hopefully pick up and take it forward?

Thanks.

MB

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

The actual connection speed can be a guide, especially if you are getting the maximum speed already, as it will be 8128Kbs.

A BT home hub would give a better indication of your current status, and also what your final speed might be, and is always useful to have as a standby.

The HH2 can be obtained quite cheaply, or you may be able to borrow one off someone.

0 Ratings
monkeybill
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Thankfully mods are on the case but while we have confirmed that I have moved on to ADSL2+ problems have arisen with my speed being capped and bit by bit it is gettig worse.  Hopefully the mods will come back soon with a resolution or I am going to start wishing I stayed on old ADSL!

Here is where my downs and ups are at the moment (3069 kbps down and 1224kbps up.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

please keep us posted on your progress  when you can some router stats might help us to see where the problem  may be 

0 Ratings
monkeybill
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Hi John46

Here are some screen shots from my router and also BT Broadband speedtest:

The bad thing really is that when I was on ADSL I was getting max sppeds of 7Mbps, when first switched to ADSL2+ I was getting around 12Mbps and now it says max is 4Mbps, this stat has been dropping initially to 8 then, 5 then 4.  Mod said it was aas exchange interpretted as a line fault (probably from changing the router a couple of times) and I had been capped which the mod lifted but this was when it was 5Mbps max and now it has dropped again, without router switching.

Hopefully will get resolved as the line is obviously capable of more even if go back to ADSL.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give.  I am pretty sure not router settings but I am not very giid with modems etc.

MB

0 Ratings