cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
westendboy
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Exchange upgraded.

I noticed that my router rebooted itself on January 12th. Did it right in front of my eyes and thought "oh dear"Smiley Sad not a very good sign.

For several days the connection was up and down like a fiddlers elbow almost like it was retraining again.

Eventually it settled down and when I checked the router stats discovered to my amazement that not only had my attenuation mysteriously dropped from 58.5 db to 49 db but that my upstream rate had doubled from 400 - 800 kB/s.

I finally found out what had happened here on the forum the other day. I read a post from another member that BT do inform customers of any work being done but only by Email to their BT/Yahoo address which I`ve never used so never got to know.  I checked my BT emails and lo and behold there was the message re upgrading my exchange.

So the moral of the story is to keep an eye on your BT email inbox - You never know what might be in there.Smiley Embarassed

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Exchange upgraded.

with that change in attenuation you must have seen a jump in your down connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Looks like you have been upgraded to ADSL2+, that is why your upload speed has increased. You may find that your download speed may rise as well.

Probably rise to about 5500kb/s.

0 Ratings
westendboy
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

I sure did imjolly. From 4.1 up to 5.5 Mbps. And thats with my slider set to 100%. (still using my ex sky Netgear DG834GT with DGTeam firmware). I could squeeze a bit more I`m sure but quite happy with it as it is.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

that's great makes a big difference.  what noise margin have you got?  just the noise margin is in some cases getting set lower than 6 as BT trialling lower noise margin on good line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
westendboy
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Yes thats a good point. I read something along those lines the other day.

Presently snrs are 8db down and 7db up. Upstream snr used be around 23 ish db so thats obviously where the extra speed has come from. Acting more like LLU now. I think I`ll tweak the snr a bit and check for smoke.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

nothing ventured nothing gained  LOL

my is set at 75% if that helps

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

westendboy wrote: I think I`ll tweak the snr a bit and check for smoke.

If you are on ADSL2+, that will not work now. I assume you are using a software tool to tweak your router.

BT put a stop to that.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

keith I thought that as well but it does work on my adsl2+ connection and has done for months

0 Ratings
westendboy
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Could you expand on that a bit Keith? I`ve just dropped it to 80% and all seems to be ok.

Gone up to this now.

PS. Think I was mistaken about the upstream snr earlier.

stats.PNG

0 Ratings