cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidmridge61
Expert
Message 121 of 269

Re: Broadband price changes 2014

My broadband increase was 4%. I was on the basic broadband package (10GB).
0 Ratings
sofrustrated
Aspiring Contributor
Message 122 of 269

Re: Existing customers' packages from 2014 not looking good

I honestly believe that BT have finally killed the goose that has been providing their golden eggs !

BT makes multi £billion profits at a time when most small businesses are happy to cover their costs. What small business can pass on swingeing increases, such as those BT have just announced w/e 04 January ? Struggling small businesses have to absorb their increased overheads in these austere times, or see their customers walk away. The fat cats at the top of BT have no intention of seeing their bonuses drop. They see themselves in a win/win situation like the errant bankers. It's either golden bonuses or golden goodbyes !

My two penn'orth :

Firstly, William Buckley, who has sent me more personal letters than my wife ever did, hasn't signed BT's latest price rise missive. This has been left to Libby Barr. Perhaps Mr Buckley has adopted a pseudonym following his recent disastrous appearance on a Commons Select Committee ? He came across as more slippery than a dodgy second-hand car dealer.

As for the new 2014 tariffs. So, we all now pay £1.75 a month for Caller ID and £1.75 a month for 1571, on top of all the other myriad of tariff increases. **bleep** Turpin couldn't have done a better job !

I have been complaining for years about BT's iniquitous minimum call charge of c.25p for landline to mobile calls. I don't mind if I get to talk to the call receiver, although this charge is triggered when the mobile network connects for just 100th of a second, in other words every time it trips the mobile's voicemail.

Another irritation is the BT contract expiry date. BT do not contact their customer in advance of the contract expiry, as they benefit greatly from the out-of-contract tariff if the customer overlooks this. The contract expiry date does not even appear on the 'My BT'. A cynic doesn't need to ask why ! Check for yourselves. It's hardly an irrelevant piece of information is it ?

Finally, whilst I am in rant mode.

Do not let a BT engineer cross the threshold of your home - never ! They are targeted for engineer call-out payments, and they will do whatever it takes to twist a fault so that accountability lies with the customer. I have had numerous blown master sockets following lightening strikes (we have an overhead network). Every time BT tries to charge me a £130 callout. After a hue and cry they then apologise for their error and refund the charge, but only until the next time lightening hits.

I know the master socket is on BT's network, BT know the master socket is on their network, yet they still try this on . I suppose they are happy to make a profit from the unwary, the elderly and the vulnerable. Me thinks they take us for a mug !

As I say, the 2014 price rises are just another nail in BT's coffin. The executive don't give a fig for customer service, and their game is to milk the customer dry.

Who coined the phrase RIP-OFF BRITAIN, I would like to shake their hand.
sofrustrated
Aspiring Contributor
Message 123 of 269

Apologies for the *BLEEP* in front of Mr Turpin's name. I think we know why !
grannyand
Aspiring Contributor
Message 124 of 269

Re LRS -

I know that if I accept BT's "offer" of a year's free Caller Display, that will start a new year's line rental contract.

Does anyone know when that new contract would start?

I renewed my LRS last month, so the current LR contract ends in September 2014. 

Supposing I sign up today to the year's free CD, would the new LR contract also start today?  If so, would that mean I would only pay one more month's LR, as I've already paid 11 months-worth in advance?

Or would the new contract be tacked onto the end of the existing one, and therefore end in September 2015?

0 Ratings
paddy09
Contributor
Message 125 of 269

@grannyand wrote:

Re LRS -

I know that if I accept BT's "offer" of a year's free Caller Display, that will start a new year's line rental contract.

Does anyone know when that new contract would start?

I renewed my LRS last month, so the current LR contract ends in September 2014. 

Supposing I sign up today to the year's free CD, would the new LR contract also start today?  If so, would that mean I would only pay one more month's LR, as I've already paid 11 months-worth in advance?

Or would the new contract be tacked onto the end of the existing one, and therefore end in September 2015?

As I read it on the register page

You can 

Pre-register today for BT Privacy with Caller Display FREE for 12 months

but subject to the following:

From 4th January 2014 BT Privacy with Caller Display will cost £1.75 a month.

Register to get BT Privacy with Caller Display free for 12 months from the date it launches* (a new 12-month line rental contract applies).

So, your LRS would still expire in September 2014 but you are actually entering into a new one year BT Phone contract (i.e for BT to be your phone provider with or without LRS) which will run from 4th January 2014

BT never make it easy

0 Ratings
grannyand
Aspiring Contributor
Message 126 of 269

Thanks for your reply, Paddy09.

I'm not sure you're correct, though.

The BT email about the new charges says:

"If you have BT Privacy with Caller Display it will cost you £1.75 a month2 from 4 January 2014. But you can sign up and get BT Privacy with Caller Display free for a year (a new 12-month line rental contract applies)."

LR contract isn't the same as a phone contract.

Later:

I've just used the Live Chat facility, and have been told "If you are in LRS we will not charge you again for LR."

0 Ratings
daleski75
Aspiring Expert
Message 127 of 269

Just called BT for some clarification on whether I need to cancel all services within 10 days or just to give my intention to cancel as they know I am moving to VM.

They said because it's on their records that I am going to leave there is nothing more which can be done just got this feeling something is going to go wrong!

0 Ratings
malcolm4853
Aspiring Contributor
Message 128 of 269

price rises

hi i have just got my email about the price rises..can i still leave without penalty if my phone line goes up but my broadband dosent

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 129 of 269

Re: price rises

So far as I know, nobody has sought proper legal advice on this.  I would consider it an unfair contract (and hence illegal) if BT charged you a penalty for trying to leave early.  But I am not a lawyer.

If you have legal cover as part of your home insurance, that usually covers advice on contractual disputes.

0 Ratings
macphee70
Aspiring Contributor
Message 130 of 269

Re: price rises

All you can do is contact them and ask,  are you sure that your broadband price isnt increasing?  Have you checked the website as the information you will recieve from BT on the phone is likely to be completely different to what the website says.

https://www.bt.com/static/wa/account/pricechanges/login/login.html

This is a link to the broadband price checker, put your details in there and see.  Currently I have a dispute with BT as they say its not going up, the website says it is and they want me to pay them £146 to leave.  I suspect my case will end with legal action one way or another as I'm not paying when it says I can leave without a penalty.  It would seem that BT are trying to scare thier customers into staying, that or they havent provided all of the correct information to thier service desk staff.

The line at the bottom of the email you received should say:

If this change means you want to end your service, you can do that by telling us within ten days of receipt of this email without needing to pay a charge for ending your contract early.

In which case yes I would say you can leave any contract without any penalty at all. 

Make sure you get it in writing or if on the phone write down the name of the analyst, time and date of call.  If your really worried record it on your mobile as I suspect BT will loose recorded calls if you need them in the future.

Good luck and well done for leaving