cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 161 of 269

Re: Existing customers' packages from 2014 not looking good

I do not want sport either and as we almost at the end of the line I do not think I could get it even if I wanted it, they already told me my line will not support Vision.

But other providSmiley Maders, once past the headline grabbing rates soon change once you get into the small print. Working out roughly the same and some add one off payments.

In the end after much discussion am staying put, but still keeping an eye on them though.Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 162 of 269

@Tillytrotter wrote:
But other providSmiley Maders, once past the headline grabbing rates soon change once you get into the small print. Working out roughly the same and some add one off payments.

This is the much vaunted "competition" that the government thinks is our saviour.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 163 of 269

Just read through all the posts. Forgive me if I missed a point and repeat something.

What we all need is a clear written new set of t&cs covering all the labyrinthine aspects of our contracts with BT, including the exact procedures and costs re 1571 and caller display (aka BT Privacy at Home) from Jan.

Can a moderator point me to t&cs which include authorative info on BT Privacy at Home and how exactly to sign up for free service for after 4th Jan?

The page

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

does not appear to have anything about caller display, or 1571. (The link on this page entitled "BT Privacy Policy" is about how BT themselves use your data not about BT Privacy at Home.)

I have had 5 conversations with BT to try to understand what exactly I have to do and have been given no less than 8 different sets of instructions! It seems from the posts that others have had similar problems.

I've been told that caller display will remain free

-until my existing contract runs out (next Oct) without any further action

- from 6th Dec 13 for one year if I pre-register

-from 5th Jan 14 for one year if I pre-register

I've been told that to keep it free

- I need to do nothing - it'll remain free for me for as long as I remain with BT

- I need to pre-register and do nothing else

- I need to pre-register, then register again on 4th Jan

- I need to pre-register, register again in Dec, then cancel the existing caller display contract on 4th Jan, otherwise I'll have both the free version and the charged for version.

I feel that if I phone again, I'll just get yet another version, and who's to say which is the correct one. I, and others, need to have it set out in writing.

P.

Highlighted
Message 164 of 269

OMG.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 165 of 269

@daleski75 wrote:

Got a letter yesterday from BT stating sorry you are leaving and a nice little charge of £270 + £30 for the ceasing so a quick call later to CS they said I will only pay £30 but if there are any problems to phone the billing department.

I hope I do not get stung for £300 considering I am meant to be leaving penalty free!

This is exactly why I wanted everything in writing. A CS operators word doesn't count for anything. I lost out on the chance of £70 cashback to move to another provider, but rather that than being stung for a £253 cancellation charge. 

I'm still holding out for the email/letter. When I get it, if I don't get written confirmation that i can leave, I intend to go via the complaints route.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 166 of 269

Live chat have stated to me that you MUST pre register to get free caller display - even if you take out a new contract a few days before Jan 4th. The new contract period will then run from 04/01/14 to 03/01/15.

During the conversation the operative did go round in circles and up his ar*e with a couple of variations on the above.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 167 of 269

Increase/Broadband/Line Rental

Hi There

Just a wee query (which is overdue) and due to BT's imminent increases.

Why are we here in the Uk, having no option but to subscribe to telephone rental before we can receive Broadband connection. We are meant to be a western/civilized country, other countries can offer broadband without telephone rental, just look around, I believe most of the people in the uk would very much welcome that choice, but seems on this situation, we the people who matter have no say.

Now then. Any advice on my quickest way of cancelling my complete package with (BT vision, line rental and broadband) I have been out of contract for at least 6/8 months. Just want a complete easy no hassle termination (without fees)

Sincere and many thanks for your advice.

Jim

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 168 of 269

Re: Increase/Broadband/Line Rental

@micaye wrote:

Hi There

Why are we here in the Uk, having no option but to subscribe to telephone rental before we can receive Broadband connection.

How would broadband be delivered without paying for the wires that supply it?

Yes, you could have broadband only, but it would be more expensive, as it would have to include the charge that Openreach make, for providing and maintaining the lines, which forms the largest part of the line rental.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 169 of 269

Re: Increase/Broadband/Line Rental

@micaye wrote:

Hi There

Why are we here in the Uk, having no option but to subscribe to telephone rental before we can receive Broadband connection. We are meant to be a western/civilized country, other countries can offer broadband without telephone rental, just look around, I believe most of the people in the uk would very much welcome that choice, but seems on this situation, we the people who matter have no say.

Now then. Any advice on my quickest way of cancelling my complete package with (BT vision, line rental and broadband) I have been out of contract for at least 6/8 months. Just want a complete easy no hassle termination (without fees)

Sincere and many thanks for your advice.

Jim

If you are out of contract and wish to move to another supplier, then email or phone for a MAC code.

If you just phone and cancel, even out of contract, then you would end up being liable for the cease charge of £30 (from Openreach).

So if it' no fees that you want then MAC code is the way to go. It must be used within 30 days otherwise the code will lapse and you would have to apply for another one.

toekneem

(EASBF)

Highlighted
Message 170 of 269

How strange. I manage to connect to broadband without wires.
0 Ratings