cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Experience so far with BT Home Hub 5?

So a few of you have installed the Home Hub 5. Like me, I'm sure a few of us would be interested to hear your experiences with this new piece of kit.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 23

Re: Experience so far with BT Home Hub 5?

Well I got mine yesterday in replacement of a HH4.

Whilst it connected fine, with good wired speeds, wireless was horrendoius.

It took several reboots and a few hours to settle down, but touch wood now all fine.

No real different to the HH4, excpet one box and wireless AC and the stats are freely available. Glad you can get the stats from it though, they come in useful.

I too get numerios blocked messages in my event log, like the post below, so will be intrigued as to the replies to that thread.

John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 23

When you say stats are available, does that include Error Seconds, SES, CRC and FEC counts? LOS and LOF also?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 23

Erm nope lol

Sorry...i was happy with Noise Ratio, max obtainable and line attenuation and a few other things.

When the HH4 was launched, there was loads of chatter here about it, I am surprised there is so little threads on the HH5.

John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 23

Does it report the upstream attenuation and noise margin?
--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Line attenuation yes. mine is 0.0/17.7

Noise margin yes  mine is 6.0/6.4

John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 23

Hi got my homehub 5 on tuesday as a replacement for faulty homehub 3b, looks a good bit of kit,setup easy its now replaced as said hh3b and openreach optical modem, its weird because when i go past it now strange not seeing flashing green lights on the wall where openreach modem was, anyway turned off wps, and BT Wifi-fon and smartwireless changed to manual channel 6 best in area for 2.4ghz and have given 5ghz seperate ssid which is much better for connecting iphone,ipad etc and on 5ghz getting nearly full download speed which is good, its also good that vdsl stats are avalable which shows various things noise,download upload etc, took a bit to get used to having had a 3b for a while the only thing it does not have is powersave mode as had mine set before to powerdown between 12am-7am hh5 does have some kind of powersave mode but different than before, the only thing have noticed is in the event log lots of blocked connections inbound and outbound not sure what they are have posted them in a seperate thread hopefully somebody will be able to shed some light on them, so far very happy with the homehub 5 and its peformance!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 23

What you need is an app like Routerstats, DSLStats, or other router monitoring software so you can keep track 24/7 http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/board,46.0.html
--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 23

Looks good and the Wireless seems fine but the Gig ethernet ports are problematic. They seem to run much slower than 100 Mbit ports on the older home hub units. This was a reported bug with Hub3/4 but is still present in Hub 5. Running wireshark shows loads of retransmissions and dropped packets so the interface to my mind is faulty. No sign of this using 100 Mbit port on the older model hubs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 23

Have you tried a good quality ethernet cable?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings