Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iPHAILZ
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Explanation please - Threat of charges, I don't understand

Hello,

Hopefully these forums have BT employees that can answer this as I'm a little perplexed.

I have just made my final payment to you which honours the length of my broadband and phone contract. I decided to move over to another company and they initially gave me a migration date of 4th July. A short while later i had an email from yourselves saying i was going to be charged nearly £80 for "early termination fee"

After calling your helpine the person said this was for the home hub?

Am i missing something here but surely my contract was to pay you for 12 months (which i did) then my end of that contract is fullfiled, if i want to move over to a different ISP a week or 2 early that's up to me..apparently not!

I could understand if i terminated my contract without being "paid up" but this seems ridiculous.

As a careful consumer I will always seek to change my packages on utilities each year to get the best value for money but after this experience I really can't see me looking at BT again next year for anything else, and pass on my experience to anyone asking about phone or broadband.

---------------------------
Best BT india advice i have seen yet on these forums:
Q: Someone has hacked my wireless network
A: Try plugging router into your test socket.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Explanation please - Threat of charges, I don't understand

@iPHAILZ wrote:

Am i missing something here but surely my contract was to pay you for 12 months (which i did) then my end of that contract is fullfiled, if i want to move over to a different ISP a week or 2 early that's up to me..apparently not!

You must be with BT for the full 12 calendar months otherwise you are classed as terminating a contract early - any payments made are irrelevant in this matter.

If your contract was to end on say 27 June if you migrate on the 26th or earlier you have not fulfilled the contract length.

iPHAILZ
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Well i guess i totally misunderstood what a contract is.

In this case i pay for services over a 12 month period, i paid in full for those services and still get told i'll get charged more money.

Anyway, probably the wrong place to come. Maybe i should have chose an impartial forum board to post on for advice, if the answer was the same then at least i could be assured then it is indeed correct.

Lesson learnt, the last time i used BT there was some issue or another, won't happen again.
---------------------------
Best BT india advice i have seen yet on these forums:
Q: Someone has hacked my wireless network
A: Try plugging router into your test socket.
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

I am a customer and am impartial.

You don't seem to understand the difference between the terms of a contract and your obligations and how you pay for said contract.

You have a contract for 12 months which you must complete otherwise you will suffer early termination costs, this is basic contract law.

It doesn't matter if you think you have paid in full, it is entirely possible that a chargeable event could occur between now and the migration date eg ringing an 0844 number that you would still have to pay for.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

I suspect that your problem is the fault of automated computer systems. It would appear that you have terminated your contract early without taking into account that you are paid up because it will work on termination dates rather than what has been paid.

Obviously the only people who will be able to confirm this or give a "BT" answer are the moderators so I have notified them about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take twenty four hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 6 of 6

HI @iPHAILZ and thanks for posting.

@conrad is perfectly correct here but I'll be happy to clear things up for you if you wish. Just drop me over an email with your details and I'll check it's all in order. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David