cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drilly
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Explanation requested of HH6 issues

After spending two hour on the phone to BT in India I'm now being sent my third Smart Hub (HH6). Fustrated yes ... very. But more than fustrated I'm curious to know what is causing the issues with the HH6. My issue is that when I recieved a new HH6 it works very well for months with no issues ... I'm happy. But then I cycle the power and when the HH6 starts up it no longer works, cycling continuously between GREEN, ORANGE and FLASHING ORANGE lights with no WiFi connection.

So my hypothesis is that when I recieve a new HH6 which comes with firmware version SG4B10002236. All works fine but in the background firmware version SG4B10002244 gets pre installed. Now from what I understand SG4B10002244 provides slightly more speed presumably by lowering the acceptable noise floor. When I recycle the power the firmware version SG4B10002244 gets installed and ... voila ... the noise on my line is above the threshold and I cannot get a signal. So I switch back to my HH5 (which works fine) while I await delivery of another HH6

Is there a BT engineer out there who could confirm this hypothisis. Its a BT forum so I assume somebody from BT is monitoring these messages?

Presummably, I would hope, by now BT have figured out the problem for themselves and are fixing it, in which case when can we expect the firmware update to fix the problem?

Also how on earth can I speak to somebody technically competent at BT to discuss this with rather than wasting hours of my life speaking to somebody in India reading from a script.

7 REPLIES 7
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Explanation requested of HH6 issues

This is a customer to customer self help forum posts made here do not go to BT although the forum is moderated by BT not every post is read

Have you tried a factory reset of the hub by holding in the recessed reset switch at the rear of the hub for 20 seconds while it is powered up that will resolve most problems

There are many using the hub 6 with the SG4B10002244 firmware with no problems
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

updates are automatic and no new firmware updates are known to be happening
0 Ratings
Drilly
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Yes, I’ve done soft resets, hard resets, you name it. I’m a techie myself so understand how these things work. Plus, I’ve had two visits by BT OpenReach engineers who could not find anything wrong other than two bricked HH6's. The bizarre thing is that that the bricked HH'6 have all occurred in the same way (after a power cycle) and only occurred after the latest firmware was issued. Clearly the HH6 is working well for others so what is different about my setup that this issue is reoccurring?

The techie in me is intrigued to know what’s causing the problem. The BT customer in me is increasingly frustrated. 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Best advice is stick with your hub 5
0 Ratings
Drilly
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

I would stick with the HH5 if it had the range I require but it doesn't, hence the reason why I bought the HH6.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

@Drilly wrote:

I would stick with the HH5 if it had the range I require but it doesn't, hence the reason why I bought the HH6.

The HH5 with an additional plugin hotspot is just as good, and likely to work better, as you can position it in the area with poor coverage.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

For now you could always use the Hub 5 as the broadband router and use the Hub 6 just for WiFi. It would mean two Hubs sitting there which you may not want, but would give the better WiFi range if that's what you see from the Hub 6. To do this:

- Disable DHCP on the Hub 6

- Change the Hub 6 IP address from 192.168.1.254 to e.g., 192.168.1.253

- Save the configuration

Then reconnect the Hub 5 WAN port to your phone line and connect one of the yellow LAN ports between the Hub 6 and Hub 5 with an Ethernet cable.

You might optionally consider disabling WiFi on the Hub 5 so there's no chance of interference between it and the Hub 6.

Regards

0 Ratings