cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
etaf
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Extend BT infinity from master socket

My neice is moving into flat and the master socket is in the Bedroom - the master socket with a split data / telephone ports

the flat also has extension telelphone points around the flat 

She has ordered infinity , which she already has

She does not move in until next week and as the landline has not be used for a while BT needs to re-activate 13th September 

couple of Questions 

As the data is split in the master socket, I assume all the telephone sockets will be voice only and not be enabed to connect the router 

it would be idea if we could use the phone extension in the main living room and then connect the TV and router and now box all in one place with cable 

Otherwise we have to rely on wireless which may not be so great

she has a Hub3 and Infinity modem that she has been told to take with her to the new flat , and connect it up and after the activation date it will work 

Otherwise she could take a DATA cable - i assume a cat6 ethernet cable from the modem in the bedroom to the otherend of the flat - how far can the ethernet cable be extended

or can she extend the small modem cable , and take the modem to the TV - how far can this wire be extended ?

she was told she should get 60 mbps as she is next to the exchange 

thanks

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Extend BT infinity from master socket

Just move the wires in the master socket that go to the living room from pins 2&5 to the data extension terminals. You will need to fit a filter in the living room socket.

0 Ratings
etaf
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

i'm not sure where the wires all go 

all i can see is a master socket in the bedroom 

and then wall flush sockets in the flat in various walls - so i assume they are all extensions and all connected 4 extensions

flat was built about 10years ago 

So you suggest I open up the master socket in the bedroom and do something with the cables to enable the data to be on all the extensions like you would have with normal ADSL 

not sure what pins i use for that 

take off the wiring on the master data portion and connect to ?? 

so that all the extensions pick up the data 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

No, it would be preferable to just move the cable that goes to the living room if that is directly wired from the master socket. There are two connections labelled data extension terminals on the backplate of the master socket. The cable to the living room should be terminated on pins 2&5 on the removable faceplate which need to be moved to the data extension terminals. If the extensions are daisy chained, it might be a bit trickier. Alternatively, just run a new cable from the data extension terminals to a new RJ11 socket in the living room.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 5 of 15

You can leave the Openreach modem in the bedroom and then run an ethernet cable up to 100mtrs to the other room.

0 Ratings
etaf
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Thanks , yes i thought it was just a ethernert cable that i could run 

just wondered if the thinner modem cable would extend OK 

or reduce the signal 

its supposed to be 60Mbps - so shes on her own in a 1 bed flat - so doesnt need that bandwidth for watching netflix , catchup tv and generl use on a iMac

thanks 

Not sure how the wires are interconnected all i saw as only had 15mins in the flat with estate agent 

was the faceplate fulsh to wall of all the 4 telephone extension sockets

and the surface mounted master socket 

Thanks for all your quick replies 

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 7 of 15

It is almost guaranteed extending the modem cable would result in a speed drop depending on the length. Ethernet is good for up to 100mtrs without noticable loss.

0 Ratings
etaf
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Thanks for all your replies 

If i change the Hub3 for a Hub5/6 does that actually improve the wireless signal 

She watches netflix and catch up and did not have a great experiance on the old hub3 with infinity @30Mbps download - tested today 

The old hub3 was in the same same room (4m x 3m ) 

so i'm not sure how good its goinf to be in a different room about 12m and wall away from the TV and NOW box

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

If you are considering paying for a Hub5/6, don't waste your money. Either buy a decent third party VDSL modem/router or just a standalone router and keep the Openreach modem. Thirds party routers with external aerials will have far better coverage than a Hub.

0 Ratings
etaf
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Thanks

she does not want the equipment and all the lights in the bedroom 

so I guess I need to extend the RJ11 Modem cable to a different room anyway 

0 Ratings