cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miketino
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Extending Apple Airport Extreme with BT HomeHub 3?

Hi all,

I recently purchased an Apple Airport Extreme to replace the BT HomeHub 3, after setting it all up though I realised that the HH is required for BT Vision, so I put it back in, extended the HH with the AE and turned off wireless on the HH.

I have now got rid of BT Vision (Too expensive for what it was IMO now), and as such have taken the HH out and put the AE back in. All is well.

However, I now have an ethernet cable that was routed through floors and walls for the BT Vision box and would like to connect the HH to that to extend the wireless network of the Airport Extreme and have it seamlessly connect between the two.

I want the AE to be the primary router because it's in a better location and AC wireless should be better used where it is.

So how do I set this up? I have the primary router set up, and an ethernet cable from there to where I want the HH as the secondary router to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I have looked at loads of similar threads but can't find anything that really helps me

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Extending Apple Airport Extreme with BT HomeHub 3?

Give the HH an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the AE and connect them together LAN-LAN. Turn off DHCP on the HH. Job done.

0 Ratings
miketino
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Any ethernet port on the AE to the Gigabit ethernet on the HH or to the Broadband in?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Any LAN Ethernet port on the AE to any LAN Ethernet port on the HH, LAN-LAN.

You will need to connect your laptop directly to the HH by Ethernet first to be able to configure it, once you have made the changes, connect the HH to the AE.

The HH doesn't need to be connected to line to make the changes.

0 Ratings
miketino
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

So I've got the HH connected to power and an ethernet cable connecting it to a Win8 laptop, however whenever I go to bthomehub.home and i fill in the new admin passwords etc and click the button, it just says applying and goes on forever spinning around; I've tried resetting it again but the same thing each time

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

What 'new' admin passswords? If you have performed a factory reset it will have the original admin password. Why do you need to change the passwords?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

1. Perform factory reset of HH.

2. Connect laptop to HH via Ethernet.

3. Connect to HH management page entering original password.

4. Set wireless details to those required

5. Turn off DHCP on the hub

6. You will now lose contact with the hub from laptop.

7. Connect HH to AE

8. Verify connection to HH management page by connecting laptop to AE and enter new IP address of HH in browser address bar.

0 Ratings
miketino
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

I have to change it from the original, I've done it in the past, but reset my HH earlier so it's asking me to change it again. Using the default password thats on the little bit of plastic in the back of the HH

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

@licquorice wrote:

1. Perform factory reset of HH.

2. Connect laptop to HH via Ethernet.

3. Connect to HH management page entering original password.

4. Set wireless details to those required

5. Set IP address of hub to outside AE DHCP range

6. Turn off DHCP on the hub

7. You will now lose contact with the hub from laptop.

8. Connect HH to AE

9. Verify connection to HH management page by connecting laptop to AE and enter new IP address of HH in browser address bar.

I missed a step out in previous post. If you can't perform steps 4,5,6 with one 'Apply' then you will need to enter new IP address in browser at step 5.

Still don't know why you need to change password.

0 Ratings
miketino
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

http://imgur.com/4EYhz8Y

This is the page I mean, you can't change any settings until its changed
0 Ratings