Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Extending WiFi range using old hub

Hi,

My house is quite big and I don't get WiFi in all of the parts of my house with the BT Home Hub 3 I have been provided with by BT. I used to have a HomeHub 2 before and I used to use that as a repeater by connecting the 2 hubs together by Ethernet using HomePlugs. It all used to work fine as I chanted the Hub 2 (repeater)s settings (SSID and Password) to the same as the Hub 3 so my devices connected automatically to whichever it got the strongest signal from and get signal everywhere but in the last few weeks I keep loosing connection on the Hub 2 and can't connect to the broadband. I have to keep restarting hub 2 and if works for a few minutes before dropping the signal again.

Is there any other way in which I can se my old hub as a WiFi range extender to get signal in all parts of my house?
Or is there any other alternative with us not too expensive or do BT provide some solutions for this?
I am in BT Total Broadband and usually get 20 down/1 up.

Any replies would be appreciated.
Thanks.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Extending WiFi range using old hub

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

I have already got 3 belkin powerline Ethernet adapters connecting my router, smart TV and Xbox. Now if I get this BT wifi hotspot with works with powerline will it clash with the belkin ones I have already got so will I have to remove them? And will these hotspots have the same settings( SSID / password) as the main router? Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

They will not work with the Belkin Powerline adapters.

You should be able to use the old hub with the Powerline adapters, otherwise you may be better gettina a proper wireless access point like the TP Link WA701ND.

Setup info here http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/TP_link/wa701nd/wa701nd_v2/wa701nd_v2_wiz.html

Other options on this page.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wireless/wirelessmenu.html

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

Do you know if it is possible to configure a Home Hub 4 to act as a wireless repeater to a Home Hub 5, without connecting them via ethernet or powerline adapters?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@bratman91 wrote:
Do you know if it is possible to configure a Home Hub 4 to act as a wireless repeater to a Home Hub 5, without connecting them via ethernet or powerline adapters?

No, its not possible.

BT have a repeater http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-dual-band-wi-fi-extender-600-9WW6.html

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Many thanks for that advice. I thought that that would be the case but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Interestingly, Ebay has a number of those BT extenders on offer as used but for virtually the same price as new.
0 Ratings