Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkWak
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Extending wifi signal of hh5 using a hh3

Go to solution
Hi,

A common theme, my house has a number of areas that the wifi signal of the bt home hub 5 drops out .
I have kept hold of my bt home hub 3.0 type b, and have a Ethernet cable running from hh5 infinity to a room which is ideal for the slave.
Can anyone provide me with a idiots guide including settings to set it up, so I have a decent wifi coverage.

Frustrating is not the word😫

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Extending wifi signal of hh5 using a hh3

Go to solution

Have a look at this guide put together by forum member Keith Beddoe. I might help.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wireless/hh3link.html

MarkWak
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
Thanks for the quick responding post...quicker than broadband...
I'll give it a go shortly.
0 Ratings
MarkWak
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
Well... That links appears to have partially sorted out the issue, grateful for that thanks.

Is there a way where I can sync the routers so I don't have to log onto each of the wifi hubs as I pass to the area where the original signal is nearly at a loss and the slave is full?
Ideally want it as one whole signal not two separate if that makes any sense, I'm not very computer literate at all,so my apologies.
0 Ratings
MarkWak
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Can I sync my bt home hub 3 and 5 so I don't have to log into the other when I lose signal

Go to solution
Is there a way where I can sync the routers so I don't have to log onto each of the wifi hubs as I pass to the area where the original signal is nearly at a loss and the slave is full?
Ideally want it as one whole signal not two separate if that makes any sense, I'm not very computer literate at all,so my apologies.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Re: Can I sync my bt home hub 3 and 5 so I don't have to log into the other when I lose signal

Go to solution

You could give them both the same SSID and wireless password and that should help. It does depend a lot on the connecting device. Windows is usually OK, but some Android devices get confused.

Andy_W
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

Have a look at this guide put together by forum member Keith Beddoe. I might help.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wireless/hh3link.html

I hope I can piggy back on this thread because the title describes exactly what I am trying to do, with partial success only.

I have followed the excellent instructions in gg30340's link but could do with more advice if anyone can help.

I formerly had an HH3 as my main router, then an ethernet link via a  pair of Simpler Networks powerline extenders (supplied by BT) to a HH 1.5, set up according the the Jarviser guidelines. and that worked out pretty well.

I have newly had Infinity 1 installed with a HH5, and wifi from that seems fine. I have upgraded the extenders with a BT Broadband Extender Flex kit, kindly provided gratis by BT when I signed up for BT Sport some time ago. The HH1.5 is replaced by my old HH3.

I set the hubs up according to the Keith Beddoe link, and fiddled about for a bit changing channel and IP address on the HH3. (Currently Channel 8 and 192.168.1.45). The results continue to be variable and unreliable.

The main thing I find is that I can access the HH3 wifi on my iPhone and iPad. The SSID name appears and the wireless password/key can be inserted successfully. However on my desktop and laptop (Win7, IE11) either the SSID doesn't appear at all, or if it does no connection can be made. It would be good if someone could explain why the wireless key doesn't need to be entered on the Windows machines, yet it does on the IOS devices?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Skable
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

I can answer why you don't need a password for Windows, it's because it saves the password in the network settings for the SSID. If you have changed the password, it will refuse to connect and you'll have to edit it manually.

Simple way is the right click on the SSID and click properties, then click Security, check that you have Security Type set to "WPA2-Personal", Encryption Type to "AES" and then enter the new password.

You can also adjust the Connection settings from the same menu, I have mine set to connect automatically and connect even if the network is not broadcasting the SSID. (should be 1st and 3rd boxes on Win7)

Andy_W
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Wow, that was seriously good advice Skable, it worked a treat!

I can see the reason I got into that pickle was a line in the Keith Beddoe referenced instructions for linking 2 hubs, where it says "Wireless Key - use the same key used on the primary". I think when I connected my desktop and laptop to the HHub 3 originally, I must have used the Wireless WPS key. I wasn't aware of that properties box for the SSID, and hadn't a clue where to look. I can now link to the the HHub3 with both computers.

Another thing I did was revert back top my original pair of powerline adaptors. The data light on the receiving end of the Extender 500 kit kept disappearing this morning. So far, the old adaptors seem to be working OK.

Many thanks for helping me up a somewhat steep learning curve!

Andy

0 Ratings
Andy_W
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
Just an afterthought if Keith Beddoe is reading, Skable's instruction on changing the SSID within Windows would be a useful note to add to your "Addendum" instructions at http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wireless/hh3link.html

Cheers, Andy
0 Ratings