cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NeilMath
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Extending wifi with another router

I've had a new BT master socket fitted and am using a homehub 5 router, but it is now at the far end of my bungalow and the signal at the other end is patchy.  I still have the old homehub 4 router.  Rather than have to purchase a range extender, is there any way of using the HH4 router to boost the wifi signal?

If so, how do i set it up?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Extending wifi with another router

Not without running a cable between the two, or using powerline adapters, as the home hubs cannot be used as a wireless repeater.

This guide is for the HH3, but should work with the HH4 http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wireless/hh3link.html

0 Ratings
NeilMath
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

OK - thanks Keith.

So would you suggest some kind of extender?  Presume one of the plug and play varieties?? Like a Netgear AC750??

Cheers

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

BT have quite a selection.

http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/bt-connected-home/home/

Using another home hub is not always the best solution, as they are not really intended as a wireless access point and may give connectivity issues.

0 Ratings
NeilMath
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Great - thanks Keith. Fortuitously got a special offer notice through from BT for their Dual Band Wifi Extender 610.  So I've ordered one and we'll see if it does the trick!! 🙂

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Remember, that device still needs to be located where there is a usable 2.4GHz signal, as it needs to use that for the back haul connection to the home hub. It then retransmits a 2.4 and 5GHz signal.
0 Ratings