cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jameslawrence89
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Extension engineer

I've just had BT Infinity installed, however the engineer said that the router couldn't be used on one of the extension sockets. I need it to be used on the socket next to the TV for my BT home hub, however BT have said that I will need an extension engineer for a cost of £130. Is this not something that comes with the service/is it normal practice for this to be charged for? If I get an extension engineer out what would they actually do, presumably they wouldn't run a cable along the wall to the master socket?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Extension engineer

I presume the socket next to your TV is the master socket. If it has a filtered faceplate, i.e there are 2 sockets, one for a phone and one for a router, then yes the router can only be plugged in there unless your wiring is re-arranged. If your master socket just has one socket in which you plug a filter and then connect the hub to the filter, you can use the hub in the extensioin socket.

Any interenal wiring beyond the master socket is your responsibility.

0 Ratings
jameslawrence89
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

I don't have a filtered faceplate - the main faceplate (which is the one in my utilities cupboard, the one with the router fitted, not the one by the TV) is a single socket, and therefore has a filter attached. I have tried plugging it into the extension socket but it didn't work.

How easy is it to rearrange the wiring myself? I guess I need to pay for the engineer, or buy a powerline.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Does a phone work in the extension socket?

The removable lower faceplate of the master socket should have wires connected to pins 2&5 that go to the extension socket.

0 Ratings
jameslawrence89
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

We don't have a phone to test. The engineer said that there was a connection there but he couldn't get it to work.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

I suggest you buy a £5 phone to test with, it will also be invaluable for troubleshooting if you have problems with your line. Telephone/broadband wiring is extremely simple, just 2 wires. If he couldn't get it to work, there is a problem with the cable between the master and extension. Are you sure the cable is continuous and hasn't been cut/disconnected somewhere.

0 Ratings
jameslawrence89
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

It's a new build property so I assume it hasn't been cut somewhere, but can't be 100% sure. Do you know whether powerline adapters are strong enough to be used for youview boxes?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Are you sure it has been connected at all?  Yes, you can use Ethernet powerline adaptors for youview boxes. Something like these will give you Ethernet and wifi connectivity. https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

0 Ratings
jameslawrence89
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

To be honest I'm not sure it's been connected - isn't that something the engineer would have been able to do today though, or do you mean physically connected (i.e. there is no actual wiring between the two)?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Openreach are only responsible for providing service to the master socket. Any wiring beyond the master socket is your responsibility. If the engineer had a quick look at your wiring it was just as a favour and not part of his remit. Are there wires connected to pins 2&5 on the lower removable faceplate of the master and the same coloured wires connected to pins 2&5 of the extension?

0 Ratings