cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pepinternet
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Extension socket wiring in new build - how to connect?

Hi all,

Hoping for some help after some confusing messages from my developer and BT (both say it's the other party's problem*).

I'm in a new build flat, first person in it.

I've got a BT master socket in the hall and extension sockets in both bedrooms and the sitting room.

I plugged my BT hub into the sitting room socket but no connection.  In fact it only works when plugged into the master socket.  None of the extension sockets will connect.

My conclusion is that the extension sockets aren't connected to the master.

When I take off the front plates on any of the ext sockets they all have the standard Cat-5 connected.

When I take off the front of the master I can't see anything other than the external cable coming in.

Does anyone know where the other end of all my extension cables will be?  I'd expected them to be dangling behind the master socket ready to be connected but they're not there!

I really want to fix this as my BT master socket isn't anywhere near a power outlet so I'm left with a power extension lead running in front of two doors to connect to the hub and an ethernet cable running back to the computer.  Bit of a trip hazard!

Any help gratefully received.

*I had a BT engineer out to connect the master initially who took a look at the situation and said it was my developers problem but BT would connect them for approx £130 per socket which is £400 for the lot.  My developers say it's BT's problem and they won't do anything to help.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Extension socket wiring in new build - how to connect?

Internal wiring is NOT the responsibility of BT.

pepinternet
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Okay, I'm fine with that.

Do you have any idea where the other ends of my extension cables might be?

I'm basically trying to see if I can fix this myself without paying £400!

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Have you asked whoever installed them where they ran them to?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

try you local yellow pages and get a local tecom engineer for a lot cheaper

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

all extension wiring is your responsibility and Openreach will charge to connect them you need to put pressure on your developer as they wired in the extensions
0 Ratings
valleysboy16
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Get a cheap corded handset (I keep one in a cupboard for emergency use!) and use it to check the extension sockets - if you get a dial tone at least you'll know they are connected (somewhere). If not then that's a question for your builders 

0 Ratings
pepinternet
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

I rather suspect that the developers just cabled between the extension sockets and didn't cable to the master. There should be 2 cables at each of the extensions except one (the last in the chain). Check to see if there are 2 sockets with only one cable.

0 Ratings
pepinternet
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Thanks licquorice, I'll have a look tonight.

From memory they were all just one so I imagined them being connected like a spider with the master socket being the body and the extension sockets being the feet if that makes sense.

I've also got an infinity socket in the hall that is currently redundant because we don't have fibre optic in our area, assuming we get FO in the next 6 months or so is there any point getting an engineer to connect my regular phone line?  Or will I have to get it done all over again when I get infinity?

Sorry for so many questions

0 Ratings