cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ad_winkie
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

External devices listed on my Home Hub

I have set up my wireless network to be WPA2 and have, I hope, an obscure and secure password. I have also stayed opted in to BTFON. When I look at my home router (advanced section) I see all these other devices - especially iphones. All these devices have IP addresses of the form with 10.28.XXX.xx. Am I right in assuming that these are devices that are using the BTFON part of my router. Do they even actually need to use the BTFON to be picked up by my router? I know BT says that the FON part of the router is separate and poses no risk to my own WLAN but I would like to confirm that this is what the 10.28.etc address implies.

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: External devices listed on my Home Hub

@ad_winkie wrote:

I have set up my wireless network to be WPA2

That's good, btw so have ISmiley Happy

and have, I hope, an obscure and secure password.

Hopefully...Smiley Indifferent

I have also stayed opted in to BTFON.

That should be just fine...Smiley Happy

When I look at my home router (advanced section) I see all these other devices - especially iphones.

If they're not yours, you should not be seeing them on your hub manager pagesSmiley Surprised

All these devices have IP addresses of the form with 10.28.XXX.xx.

They are the IP addresses that FON usesSmiley Surprised

Am I right in assuming that these are devices that are using the BTFON part of my router.

If they are using the FON part, you should not see them at all

Do they even actually need to use the BTFON to be picked up by my router?

Not too sure what you mean, but if you're opted into FON, then those allowed to connect, can.

I know BT says that the FON part of the router is separate and poses no risk to my own WLAN but I would like to confirm that this is what the 10.28.etc address implies.

This really looks odd to me, unless anyone else knows the real reason for this, I'd have to say something is very wrong here...

Thanks

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 3 of 4

Hi Ad_winkle,

Thanks for the posts and welcome to the forum. 

Can I ask a few more question please? 

Have you only setup your connection to run wirelessly recently?

Have you only recently noticed these devices appearing in your hub manager?

The hub you are using, is it brand new?

I am not sure why these devices are appearing especially if you haven't seen them before or recognise them?  I would for the sake of it change your wireless password in the mean time. 

Please drop me an email via the 'Contact Us' link in my profile. (click on my name and you will find the link under the "about me" section). Include your BT account details and the link to this thread.  Please include the answer to my questions.  Once I have your details I will be able to find out more.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

My daughter has an old home hub 1, and I have seen FON/Openzone devices listed within the 10.28.XXX.xxx range. So this proves that they are visible on the old home hubs. Nothing to be concerned about.

0 Ratings