Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Guru
Message 1 of 6

Extra 4G

Extra 4G anyone?

"Our Extra Speed 4G add-on gives you faster mobile data speeds than our standard 4G. With the add-on, the maximum download speed can be as high as 60Mbps (megabits per second) rather than 30 Mbps on our standard 4G. It means you could download an app in as little as 3.5 seconds compared to seven seconds with standard 4G, or download a music track in 1.5 seconds compared to three. It should make using your smartphone a lot slicker with less time waiting for content to buffer or for apps to load."

Link here & here

Stew

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Message 2 of 6

Re: Extra 4G

@StewM wrote:

Extra 4G anyone?

"Our Extra Speed 4G add-on gives you faster mobile data speeds than our standard 4G. With the add-on, the maximum download speed can be as high as 60Mbps (megabits per second) rather than 30 Mbps on our standard 4G. It means you could download an app in as little as 3.5 seconds compared to seven seconds with standard 4G, or download a music track in 1.5 seconds compared to three. It should make using your smartphone a lot slicker with less time waiting for content to buffer or for apps to load."

Link here & here

Stew

Looks interesting.

I use the Kia bits network signal pro application.

Frequently it reports a 42 Mbps connection.

But this rapidly reduces to 14 Mbps on use. Non business user???

It's a step forward., for non-business users.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 3 of 6

....and now here

Stew

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 6

@StewM wrote:

....and now here

Stew

Thanks,

A quick check on the coverage map, (not functional on an Apple ios device), shows that coverage is there, but limited in rural areas.

My usual areas are of variable reception. Interesting to see that 42 mbps is sometimes available in one spot - a meeting hall - , but no yellow areas are shown on the map.

More and more transmitters are appearing on my installed signal monitor application, however.

During the outage earlier this week 42 mbps was available indoors, except that no data was coming through to the mobile phone.

The T&Cs state that Extra 4G is not available to business users, so do they have access to faster speeds, or do they simply pay more?

I'll stick to 3G.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 5 of 6

For what I use my mobile, I can't say that paying £4pm to save say 2 or 3 mins max is a good use of my money!

Stew

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

I took the plunge and paid my £4. Did a speedtest this morning on my iPhone 6 from mast at location PE7 1UA and it pulled 80 down and 30 up. The download soon throttled at a steady 62 and the upload settled at 15 in the end. Seems the Extra speed is only for download (what matters most I suppose).

One thing I do find misleading is if you click on Extra Speed on the coverage map the coverage seems extended. This is the same for the map on the EE website too. The same map is used for both now.

But I can assure you that paying the £4 does not get you the extended coverage in terms of signal power, just the speed..

Still waiting for the 4G signal power on 1800mhz to be cranked up to 2G levels as I spotted in a discussion in the EE forums, just hope it happens..

0 Ratings