cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 33

Re: Extra channels on Infinity (broadband interruptions are affecting your viewing)

Ok so I assume you are on Infinity 2, FTTH, and have an optical modem with a battery backup unit?

A while back someone else reported FTTH problems with the multicast channels and if I remember correctly said that when they disconnected the battery backup the problems went away. Could you be getting problems just when the battery is charging?

FTTPCapture.JPG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 12 of 33

Re: Extra channels on Infinity (broadband interruptions are affecting your viewing)

Hi again

Yes your assumptions are all correct. I have tried what you say but I'm afraid it has not corrected the VMC011 issue. I tried re booting everything as well with the BBU unit disconnected, no joy.

The channels did work earlier for about 1-2 minutes then went again! Again the speed tests on our broadband give very good results and BT have run line tests and can find no issues.

We have a BT engineer coming out to us on Saturday so we'll see what he says.... Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 33

Update. BT engineer has called in and agrees we have an unknown intermittent problem that is affecting our HD & sports channels coming through broadband.

He thinks it is a software problem that the current Vision boxes cannot resolve. He says there is a new You View box coming out in about a months time that will resolve our problem......?

Meanwhile we have to put up with paying for something we cannot receive!! Great

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 33

Just my opinion, but to me what the engineer said doesn't really make sense.

There are nearly a million BT TV customers, many using BT Vision+ or BT Youview+ boxes to view extra multicast channels. How come this forum isn't full of similar complaints if the current software can't handle the multicast data streams correctly? Many other people in your area will be tuning in to exactly the same streams as you are.

Regarding the new box he said was coming in a few months. They just launched the Mini Youview box recently (no HDD). The current model BT Youview+ box came out last January. I haven't heard any mention of a newer box though he may know something that we don't. Even if one was coming out soon they wouldn't upgrade every customer automatically so couldn't rely on any different software on that box solving any problems. Also note that up to now the different models of BT Youview+ box have I think been running the same software anyway.

It could be a fault with the software installation on your particular BT Vision+ box. Have you tried doing a factory reset to download and re-install the software?

It could be a fault with the Openreach VDSL modem or the BT HomeHub router. In particular HomeHub 3 Type A routers seem to have caused some multicast issues in the past.

It could be a problem with BT's external equipment. Obviously that is not something you can fix yourself as Openreach manage that.

If you have a wired PC (wireless multicast won't work) then you could try viewing channel 475 on the PC using VLC Media Player. That would at least indicate whether it's a fault with the BT Vision+ box or something else. It's best to totally disconnect the BT Vision+ box from the HomeHub when doing this test.

See  https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/IPC6023-Advanced-Diagnosis/m-p/1154880/highlight/true#M934...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 15 of 33

Thanks for the response.

Yes i have done a software update and so did the engineer today.

We have the lastest Home Hub 5. I've also have a 4 that randomly came in the post from BT a few weeks back! Same issue.

He did ponder changing our Vision Box for a You View  but said it would not enable us to get Sky Sports so this wasn't an option worth doing??

I'll try the laptop test you mention....

Thanks

Ps. He said he'd now escalate the issue to BT technical in New Delhi!! Not sure if he was joking or not!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 33

I have a BT Vision+ box, Infinity 1, an Openreach VDSL modem and a HomeHub 4. Like you I too have Sky Sports so haven't been able to change to a BT Youview+ box.

The multicast channels have worked absolutely fine for me for one and a half years now. There was an issue for 2 weeks when I first got them activated, but that was sorted though BT never told me what they had changed. My point is that if the BT Vision+ box software couldn't handle multicast streams correctly then lots of customers would be denied the service. This clearly isn't the case. So the talk of you needing to move to a BT Youview+ box seems like a red herring to me. It might fix nothing (unless the BT Vision+ box is faulty, in which case a replacement BT Vision+ box is what you need).

The main difference between your set up and mine is that you are on FTTH and I'm on FTTC.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 33

One further point to keep in mind. Due to the recent court ruling BT are now likely to start offering Sky Sports on the BT Youview platform as well. We just don't know exactly when that will happen. Very soon hopefully.

See  https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Sky-Sports-on-You-View/td-p/1405889

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 18 of 33

What is particularly annoying is that I have found out today that the Engineer has reported back that our system and channels are working fine and no issue exists! How can they get away with this.....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 19 of 33

I have downloaded the VLC media player. Connected a laptop to the Hub via an ethernet cable. Open network stream, typed in the rtp address but nothing comes up??

Can you also clarify how i conatct a Mod please? I have found a couple, gone to their profile, but there is nothing to click on the' contact me' area? I realise you have to be logged in but still nothing to click on?

I've really had enough now. What with the engineer reporting that there is no issue and the channels work fine; BT Newcastle department phoning me today to say great news that the engineer fixed the problem; BT technical in India emailing me today saying there was a fault with the broadband but the engineer that came round fixed it......!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 20 of 33

Hi Surfbum,

Please could you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile. I would like to take a look at what is happening with your case?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings